From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Millennium:||1st millennium BC|
|Centuries:||8th century BC – 7th century BC – 6th century BC|
|Decades:||730s BC 720s BC 710s BC – 700s BC – 690s BC 680s BC 670s BC|
|Years:||703 BC 702 BC 701 BC – 700 BC – 699 BC 698 BC 697 BC|
|700 BC by topic|
|State leaders – Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births – Deaths|
|Establishments and disestablishments categories|
|Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Gregorian calendar||700 BC|
|Ab urbe condita||54|
|Bahá'í calendar||−2543 – −2542|
|English Regnal year||N/A|
|Chinese calendar||庚辰年 (Metal Dragon)
1997 or 1937
— to —
辛巳年 (Metal Snake)
1998 or 1938
|Coptic calendar||−983 – −982|
|Ethiopian calendar||−707 – −706|
|- Vikram Samvat||−643 – −642|
|- Shaka Samvat||N/A|
|- Kali Yuga||2402–2403|
|Igbo calendar||−1699 – −1698|
|Iranian calendar||1321 BP – 1320 BP|
|Islamic calendar||1362 BH – 1361 BH|
|Minguo calendar||2611 before ROC
|Thai solar calendar||−156|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 700 BC.|
- Assyrian king Sennacherib launches another campaign into the Chaldean region, where the Babylonian rebel Merodach-Baladan II has been conspiring against him. Merodach-Baladan takes refuge in Elam, north of the Persian Gulf.
- Babylon's Assyrian-raised puppet king Bel-ibni dies after a 3-year reign. He is replaced by Sennacherib's son, Ashur-nadin-shumi.
- Assyrian king Ashurbanipal founds library, which includes our earliest complete copy of the Epic of Gilgamesh.
- The first Olympics start in Greece.
- China's minister of agriculture teaches the peasants crop rotation. He also teaches them to dig drainage ditches, rents them farm equipment, and stores grain surpluses to provide free food in time of famine (approximate date).
- Phoenician colonists plant olive trees on the Iberian Peninsula (modern Spain). They establish trade routes across the Mediterranean.
- Laws against animal slaughter are relaxed in India (approximate date).
- Cities developing in the Near East build aqueducts to keep their residents supplied with water (approximate date).
- Mentuemhat, Egyptian government official
|This article related to a particular year is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|