707th Special Mission Battalion
|707th Special Mission Battalion
|Active||17 April 1982 – present|
|Branch||Republic of Korea Army|
|Type||Special operations forces|
|Role||Domestic Counter-Terrorism and Law Enforcements
|Size||~ 300 men and women|
|Part of||ROKA Special Warfare Command|
|Garrison/HQ||Seongnam, South Korea|
The 707th Special Mission Battalion (Hangul : 제707특수임무대대, Hanja : 第707特殊任務大隊) is a special force unit in the Republic of Korea Army Special Warfare Command. The unit is South Korea’s primary counter-terrorist and quick reaction force. The unit’s soldiers – distinguished by their black berets – are tasked with conducting urban counter terrorist missions, and constitute the Army’s quick-reaction force for emergencies. The battalion's nickname is 'White Tiger.'
The unit also has a small number of female special forces operatives. They are used in counter-terror operations where the presence of a woman is not seen as a threat to a terrorist.
The 707th SMB has also been called on by the South Korean government to prioritize potential counter-terrorist operations against any possible threats on South Korean soil.
The recruitment process usually involves conscripts from the different branches of the Republic of Korea Armed Forces who apply and try out to become members of the elite force. Others are handpicked by their superiors across the different branches of the military and try out like their applicant counterparts.
All members of the 707th are SCUBA and parachute qualified. It is reported that members frequently perform daily calisthenics in the snow and sub-zero temperatures and will swim in freezing lakes without any thermal protection.
The 707th Special Mission Battalion trains with foreign partners, such as U.S. Army's Delta Force, FBI HRT, British SAS, Russia's Alpha Group, French GIGN, Canadian JTF2, Hong Kong SDU, and Singaporean STAR. The purpose is to experience and increase relationships and exchanges with international Special Forces communities.
- South Korea - Republic of Korea Naval Special Warfare Flotilla
- United States – Delta Force
- United States – DEVGRU
- United Kingdom – Special Air Service
- Australia – Special Air Service Regiment
- Russia – Alpha Group
- Russia – Vympel
- Canada – Joint Task Force 2
- Ireland - Army Ranger Wing
- Poland – JW GROM
- Japan – Special Forces Group
- Sweden – Special Operations Group
- Germany – Kommando Spezialkräfte
- France – 1er RPIMa
- South Africa - South African Special Forces
Weaponry and equipment
- H&K MP5
- H&K MP7A1
- Benelli M4
- Daewoo K-1A
- Daewoo K-2
- Daewoo K-3
- Daewoo K-7
- Daewoo K-11
- S&T Motiv K-14
- Accuracy International AWM
- Accuracy International AW50F
- Steyr SSG 69
- H&K USP9
- H&K MSG-9
- B & T MP9
- FN SCAR-L
- Republic of Korea. Retrieved on November 1, 2007.
- 707th. Retrieved on May 25, 2011.
- Special Operations and Counterterrorist Forces. Retrieved on November 1, 2007.
- Korean Forces Strengthen Counter-Terrorism Posture After al-Qaida Warning. Retrieved on November 1, 2007.
- 707th South Korea. Retrieved on May 25, 2011.
- 707th Special Missions Battalion. Retrieved on November 1, 2007.
- Reports Discuss Korea's 707th Special Mission Unit. Retrieved on November 1, 2007.
- Republic of Korea. Retrieved on May 25, 2011.