723 Squadron RAN
|723 Squadron RAN|
An Agusta A109 of 723 Squadron performing a rescue demonstration at Fleet Base East in September 2008
|Battle honours||Vietnam 1967–71
East Timor 1999
723 Squadron is a Royal Australian Navy Fleet Air Arm squadron. The squadron was first raised in 1952 and throughout its history has served operationally during the Vietnam War, the Gulf War and in East Timor. It currently operates as a helicopter training squadron and is based at HMAS Albatross at Nowra, New South Wales.
723 Squadron was first commissioned into the RAN on 7 April 1952 and was equipped with one Dakota, one Wirraway, one Sea Otter and two Sea Fury aircraft. During the Vietnam War, personnel from the squadron operated as part of the Experimental Military Unit, a joint Australian-American helicopter assault and transport unit.
723 is currently active as a helicopter training squadron equipped with 13 Aerospatiale AS 350BA Ecureuil (Squirrel) and three Agusta A109E helicopters. The Squadron is based at HMAS Albatross (NAS Nowra). The Squirrels are used for conversion training all pilots, observers and aircrew from fixed wing to rotary wing aircraft. The Agustas joined the Squadron in 2007 on lease from Raytheon Australia and are used for multi engine training for pilots moving onto other aircraft such as the SH-60B Seahawk. They will be replaced by three leased Bell 429 helicopters from 2012.
- Aerospatiale AS 350BA Ecureuil (Squirrel) – training
- Bell 429 - training, search and rescue, medevac and personnel transport.
- Supermarine Sea Otter
- de Havilland Tiger Moth
- Auster Autocar
- CAC Wirraway
- Bristol Sycamore
- Hawker Sea Fury
- Fairey Firefly
- Westland Scout
- de Havilland Sea Venom
- de Havilland Vampire
- Douglas C-47 Dakota
- Bell UH-1
- Bell/CAC 206B-1 Kiowa
- Westland Wessex
- Hawker Siddeley HS 748
- Agusta A109E
- Australian Naval Aviation Museum (ANAM) (1998). Flying Stations: a story of Australian naval aviation. St Leonards, NSW: Allen & Unwin. pp. 179–81. ISBN 1-86448-846-8. OCLC 39290180.
- "Navy Marks 109th Birthday With Historic Changes To Battle Honours". Royal Australian Navy. 1 March 2010. Archived from the original on 13 June 2011. Retrieved 23 December 2012.
- "Royal Australian Navy Ship/Unit Battle Honours". Royal Australian Navy. 1 March 2010. Archived from the original on 14 June 2011. Retrieved 23 December 2012.
- ADF Serials Agusta N42- list retrieved 2007-08-30.
- Article from The Australian newspaper online, retrieved 2007-08-30.
- "Raytheon to provide Bell 429s for interim RAN aircrew training". Australian Aviation. 19 September 2011. Retrieved 19 September 2011.
- "Raytheon Australia’s Retention and Motivation Initiative Acceptance Activities Commence". Media Release. Raytheon Australia. 31 January 2012. Retrieved 2 February 2012. "Raytheon Australia today announced the beginning of acceptance activities of its first Bell 429 helicopters to be utilised under the Royal Australian Navy’s Retention and Motivation Initiative 2 (RMI 2) Program ..."
- RAN webpage on 723 Squadron's history
- Fleet Air Arm Association of Australia webpage on 723 Squadron