780th Military Intelligence Brigade (United States)
|780th Military Intelligence Brigade|
|Country||United States of America|
|Garrison/HQ||Fort Meade, Maryland|
|Nickname||780th MI Brigade|
|Website||780th MIB Home Page|
|Current Commander||Colonel William Hartman |
|Command Sergeant Major||Command Sergeant Major William Rinehart |
|Distinctive Unit Insignia|
780th Military Intelligence Brigade conducts expeditionary and remote cyber attack, cyber exploitation, and cyber defense operations of U.S. Army and Defense information networks. Headquartered in Fort Meade, Maryland, the command supports U.S. Army Cyber Command.
The 780th Military Intelligence Brigade inherits the legacy of the 744th Military Intelligence Battalion. The 744th MI Battalion activated on July 2, 2008, under the former name of the Army Network Warfare Battalion, supporting the U.S. Army and the Department of Defense in providing tactical support to Army Brigade Combat Teams. In December 2010, the Army approved the establishment of an Army Cyber Brigade and designated the 780th MI Brigade to fulfill this mission with an effective date of October 1, 2011, under Commander Colonel Jonathan E. Sweet. The 780th MI Brigade activation ceremony was held at NSA's Friedman Auditorium in Fort Meade, Maryland, on December 1, 2011.
According to the 780th Military Intelligence Brigade's commander Colonel Jennifer G. Buckner, the fosters a "Google-like culture of innovation" where, unlike most of the military, "rank and position mean very, very little". She stated, "some of the unit’s most competent cyberwarriors started the job with no formal intelligence training or technical education"—the Brigade is responsible for recruitment and training—emphasizing the meritocratic nature of the workplace.
- The 780th Military Intelligence Brigade consists of the Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 781st Military Intelligence Battalion, and the 782nd Military Intelligence Battalion.
- 781st MI Battalion, Fort Meade, Maryland (formerly 744th MI BN, 704th MI BDE) activated on July 2, 2008, under the former name of the Army Network Warfare Battalion, supports the U.S. Army and the Department of Defense in providing tactical support to Army Brigade Combat Teams world-wide through strategic support to other services, joint commanders and interagency partners.
- The 782nd Military Intelligence Battalion is headquartered at Fort Gordon, Georgia., and works in collaboration with the 706th Military Intelligence Group. 
- Military Intelligence Corps (United States Army)
- United States Army Intelligence and Security Command
- Battlefield Surveillance Brigade, The United States Army is currently reorganizing its intelligence formations into Battlefield Surveillance Brigades (BfSB).
- Tina Miles, 780th MI Brigade (9 Dec 2011). "Army activates first-of-its-kind Cyber Brigade". www.army.mil. Retrieved 11 Feb 2012.
- Tina Miles, 780th MI Brigade (1 Dec 2011). "780th MI Brigade HHC activates on Fort Meade". www.ftmeadesoundoff.com. Retrieved 11 Feb 2012.
- infosecurity-magazine.com (12 Dec 2011). "US Army activates first cyber brigade". infosecurity-magazine.com. Retrieved 11 Feb 2012.
- Jesus Diaz (14 Dec 2011). "The first US Army Cyber Brigade are not your typical hackers". gizmodo.com. Retrieved 11 Feb 2012.
- Lori Solberg (16 Dec 2011). "Cyber Soldiers: Hackers in Fatigues". defense-update.com. Retrieved 12 Feb 2012.
- Insinna, Valerie (24 October 2013). "Army Pursues Development of Soldiers’ Cybersecurity Skills". National Defense. Retrieved 4 January 2014.