7 Wonders (board game)
||This article's lead section may not adequately summarize key points of its contents. (May 2013)|
Box cover of 7 Wonders
|Publisher(s)||Belgium: Repos Production
|Players||2 to 7|
|Age range||10 and up|
|Setup time||5 minutes|
|Playing time||40 minutes|
7 Wonders is a board game created by Antoine Bauza in 2010 and published by Repos Production in English and by Κάισσα in Greek, that won the prestigious Kennerspiel des Jahres in 2011. It is the first game to receive this prize. It also won the 2011 Deutscher Spiele Preis. It is one of the highest rated games on BoardGameGeek.
7 Wonders is a dedicated deck card game based on civilizations. It uses a card-drafting mechanic where, once per turn, each player selects a card to play from his or her hand then passes the remaining cards to the next player. This is repeated until 6 out of the 7 cards dealt have been played. The game is played over three decks representing three ages. At the end of each age, military conflicts are resolved between neighbors. Resource trading is also possible between neighbors throughout the game. Once all three decks have been played, players tally their scores in different developed areas (civil, scientific, commercial). The player with the most points wins.
The goal of the game is to get the most victory points. The base game has seven ways to get victory points:
- Military victories - One point for victories during the first age, three for the second age and five for the third age. A player who is defeated gets a negative one victory point at the end of the age. The value of defeats does not increase each age, but remains -1 for each defeat.
- Gold coins - One point for each 3 coins a player possesses at the end of the game.
- Stages of a Wonder - Each wonder grants a different number of victory points as rewards for building stages of the wonder.
- Civilian Structures (blue cards) - Each structure grants a static number of victory points.
- Commercial Structures (yellow cards) - Some of these structures, mainly in Age 3, grant victory points based on other structures/resources a player and/or his neighbors have built.
- Guilds (purple cards) - A random assortment of guilds are available providing several ways to gain victory points based on what a player and/or his neighbors have built.
- Scientific Structures - There are 3 symbols associated with scientific structures. They grant a player victory points, depending on how many of each symbol the player has built. Every set of the 3 types is worth 7 points, while the separate types are worth the amount collected squared.
- 7 Wonders: Leaders (2011)
- 7 Wonders: Cities (August 2012) - allows team play for pairs of players and/or 8th player to join the game
- Wonder pack (May 2013)
- Manneken Pis (Promotional wonder released at SPIEL 2010, October 2010 - later included in the Wonder Pack)
- 7 Wonders: Leaders Stevie Wonder Promo Card (2011)
- Catan-Wonder (Promotional wonder released at SPIEL 2011, October 2011)
- 7 Wonders: Leaders Louis Armstrong Promo Card (2012)
- 7 Wonders: Leaders Esteban promo card (2012)
- 2010 Tric Trac Nominee
- 2011 As d'Or - Jeu de l'Année Nominee
- 2011 Golden Geek Best Board Game Artwork/Presentation Nominee
- 2011 Golden Geek Best Card Game Nominee
- 2011 Golden Geek Best Family Board Game Nominee
- 2011 Golden Geek Best Innovative Board Game Nominee
- 2011 Golden Geek Best Party Board Game Nominee
- 2011 Golden Geek Best Strategy Board Game Nominee
- 2011 Gouden Ludo Nominee
- 2011 Gra Roku Game of the Year Nominee
- 2011 Guldbrikken Best Adult Game Nominee
- 2011 Hra roku Nominee
- 2011 International Gamers Awards - General Strategy; Multi-player Nominee
- 2011 Japan Boardgame Prize Voters' Selection Nominee
- 2011 JoTa Best Artwork Nominee
- 2011 JoTa Best Card Game Nominee
- 2011 JoTa Best Light Board Game Nominee
- 2011 Juego del Año Tico Nominee
- 2011 Lucca Games Best Boardgame Nominee
- 2011 Nederlandse Spellenprijs Nominee
- 2011 Spiel des Jahres Kennerspiel Game of the Year Nominee
- 2011 Vuoden Peli Adult Game of the Year Nominee
- 2011 Boardgames Australia Awards Best International Game Nominee
- 2012 Boardgames Australia Awards Best International Game Nominee
- 2010 Tric Trac d'or (France) (French), Game of the Year, Winner.
- 2010 Meeples' Choice Award, Winner.
- 2011 Kennerspiel des Jahres, German "Connoisseur" Game of the Year, Winner.
- 2011 Deutscher Spiele Preis, Winner.
- 2011 Les Trois Lys (Québec), Game of the year, Winner
- 2011 Vuoden Aikuistenpeli (Finland), Adult game of the year, Winner.
- 2011 Lucca Games (Italy), Miglior gioco di carte (Best cards game), Winner.
- "Category: Kennerspiel des Jahres 2011". Spiel des Jahres. 27 June 2011. Retrieved 11 July 2011.
- "All Kennerspiel des Jahres Winners". Spiel des Jahres. 27 June 2011. Retrieved 11 July 2011.
- "Games sorted by rank". boardgamegeek.com. Retrieved 11 July 2011.
- Bauza, Antoine. 7 Wonders Rulebook and Scorecard. Repos Production, 2010, p. 3.
- "7 Wonders: Manneken Pis". Retrieved 24 September 2012.
- "7 Wonders: Leaders Stevie Wonder Promo Card". Retrieved 24 September 2012.
- "Kulkmann's G@mebox - SPIEL 2011 at Essen / Germany". Retrieved 24 September 2012.
- "7 Wonders: Catan Island". Retrieved 24 September 2012.
- "7 Wonders: Leaders Louis Armstrong Promo Card". Retrieved 24 September 2012.
- "7 Wonders". Retrieved 31 December 2013.
- "Vuoden pelit 2011 valittu". Suomen leluyhdistys ry. Retrieved 30 November 2011.
|Kennerspiel des Jahres