7th Street (LYNX station)
LYNX light rail station
|Address||260 East Seventh Street
Charlotte, NC 28202
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
|Bicycle facilities||Racks available|
|Opened||24 November 2007|
|Owned by||Charlotte Area Transit System|
The 7th Street station is a light rail station for both the LYNX Blue Line and the historic Charlotte Trolley in Uptown Charlotte, North Carolina, U.S.A.. It is the northern terminus of the Blue Line. The station officially opened for service on Saturday, November 24, 2007, and as part of its opening celebration fares were not collected. Regular service with fare collection commenced on Monday, November 26, 2007.
In February 2002, CATS announced that the northern terminus of the Blue Line was going to be relocated from 9th Street to its present location along 7th Street The station is located between East 6th Street and East 7th Street just west of North Brevard Street. It has side platforms, which sit on either side of the tracks. This will also mark where the eventual Northeast Line en route to the University of North Carolina at Charlotte will connect with the Blue Line.
Notable places nearby
- Levine Museum of the New South
- Discovery Place
- ImaginOn: The Joe and Joan Martin Center - a children's library and theatre
- Main Library of the Public Library of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County
- Hearst Tower
- 7th Street Public Market
As part of the CATS Art in Transit program, 7th Street features several pieces intended to provide a better overall aesthetic for the station. The works include bas-reliefs entitled Gingko by Alice Adams, drinking fountain basins designed to look like dogwoods, the North Carolina state flower, by Nancy Blum, river stone benches by Hoss Haley and finishes on the track fencing, shelter windscreens and column cladding featuring a leaf motif of species of tree found in the station by Shaun Cassidy.
- 7th Street station site plan
- Harrison, Steve; Kristen Valle (2007-11-25). "Light rail, heavy traffic - Thousands wait in lines for a free ride on 1st day". The Charlotte Observer. p. 1A.
- "Updated Station Locations". South Transitions. Charlotte Area Transit System. February 2002. Retrieved 2007-10-01.[dead link]
- "7th Street Station: Art in Transit". Charlotte Area Transit System. Archived from the original on 2008-01-04. Retrieved 2008-06-21.
- 7th Street station site plan from CATS
- 7th Street Station
- Station from 7th Street from Google Maps Street View
- Station from 6th Street from Google Maps Street View