821st Strategic Aerospace Division
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (January 2013)|
|821st Strategic Aerospace Division|
Emblem of the 821st Strategic Aerospace Division
|Branch||United States Air Force|
|Role||Command and Control|
|Part of||Strategic Air Command|
The 821st Strategic Aerospace Division (821st SAD) is an inactive United States Air Force organization. Its last assignment was with Strategic Air Command, assigned to Fifteenth Air Force, being stationed at Ellsworth AFB, South Dakota. It was inactivated on 30 June 1971.
Activated in 1958 as an intermediate command echelon of Strategic Air Command, providing command and control, manning, training, and equipping of B-52 Stratofortress Strategic Wings in the Upper Midwest United States for long range bombardment missions using either nuclear or conventional weapons. It also developed and maintained the capability for effective air refueling operations. Redesignated as a Strategic Aerospace Division in 1962 when Strategic Wings were inactivated and the command assumed control over Titan I Wings for strategic aerospace warfare using intercontinental ballistic missiles.
Between 1966 and 1970, the division's subordinate units loaned B-52 and KC-135 aircraft and crews to Strategic Air Command organizations in Southeast Asia in support of Arc Light combat missions. The 821st conducted numerous staff assistance visits, and participated in tactical exercises such as Operation Chrome Dome and Buckskin Rider.
Inactivated in 1971 as part of SAC's withdrawal from Southeast Asia and also as a result of budgetary reductions.
- Established as 821 Air Division on 22 August 1958
- Activated on 1 January 1959
- Redesignated 821 Strategic Aerospace Division on 15 February 1962
- Inactivated on 30 June 1971.
- Fifteenth Air Force, 1 January 1959-30 June 1971.
- 90th Strategic Missile Wing: 2 July 1966-30 June 1971 (F. E. Warren AFB)
- 91st Bombardment Wing: 1 September 1964-1 July 1966 (Glasgow AFB)
- 44th Strategic Missile Wing: 1 January 1962-30 June 1971 (Ellsworth AFB)
- 341st Strategic Missile Wing: 1 July 1962-1 July 1964 (Malmstrom AFB)
- 28th Bombardment Wing: 1 January 1959-30 June 1971 (Ellsworth AFB)
- 4133d Strategic Wing: 1 January 1959-1 July 1962 (Grand Forks AFB)
- 4136th Strategic Wing: 1 January 1959-1 July 1962 (Minot AFB)
- 4141st Strategic Wing: 1 July 1959-1 July 1962 (Glasgow AFB)
- B-52, 1959–1971
- KC-135, 1959–1971
- KC-97, 1962–1964
- Titan I, 1962–1965
- Minuteman I, 1963–1971
- EC-135, 1965-1971.
- Ravenstein, Charles A. (1984). Air Force Combat Wings Lineage and Honors Histories 1947-1977. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0-912799-12-9.
- 821st Strategic Aerospace Division Factsheet