823d Air Division
|823d Air Division
|Branch||United States Air Force|
|Role||Command and Control|
|Part of||Strategic Air Command|
|823d Air Division emblem (approved 21 January 1959)|
The 823d Air Division (823d AD) is an inactive United States Air Force organization. Its last assignment was with Strategic Air Command, assigned to Second Air Force, being stationed at McCoy Air Force Base, Florida. It was inactivated on 30 June 1971.
Activated in 1956 as an intermediate command echelon of Strategic Air Command, providing command and control of B-47 Stratojet subordinate units in long range offensive bombardment and air to air refueling operations. After the B-47's phaseout in 1965, controlled B-52D and B-52G Stratofortress Wings in the Southeastern United States converted to conventional bombing configuration for use in the Vietnam War. Between 1965 and 1975, the division's subordinate units deployed aircraft and crews to Strategic Air Command organizations in Southeast Asia in support of Arc Light combat operations. The 823d also conducted staff assistance visits and participated in exercises such as Buckskin Rider.
Inactivated in 1971 as part of SAC's withdrawal from Southeast Asia and also as a result of budgetary reductions.
- Established as the 823 Air Division on 19 June 1956
- Activated on 1 June 1956
- Inactivated on 30 June 1971
- Second Air Force, 1 June 1956
- Eighth Air Force, 1 January 1959
- Second Air Force, 31 March 1970 – 30 June 1971
- Homestead Air Force Base, Florida, 1 June 1956
- McCoy Air Force Base, Florida, 2 July 1968 – 30 June 1971
- B-47 Stratojet, 1956–1963
- KC-97 Stratotanker, 1956–1963
- B-52 Stratofortress, 1962–1968; 1969–1971
- KC-135 Stratotanker, 1962–1968; 1969–1971
- Brig Gen Keith K. Compton, 1 Jun 1956
- Col Travis M. Hetherington, 1 Jun 1957
- Col Seth J. McKee, 30 Aug 1958
- Col John B. McPherson, 18 Sep 1959
- Brig Gen Jack J. Catton, 3 Jul 1962
- Maj Gen Alvan C. Gillem II, c. Aug 1963
- Maj Gen William E. Creer, 29 Jul 1964
- Maj Gen Kenneth R. Powell, 28 Jun 1966 - unkn
- Brig Gen Salvador E. Felices, 12 Apr 1969
- Col Howard P. McClain, 26 May 1970
- Brig Gen Woodrow A. Abbott, 1 Aug 1970 - 30 Jun 1971
- Ravenstein, Charles A. (1984). Air Force Combat Wings Lineage and Honors Histories 1947-1977. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0-912799-12-9.