82nd Scripps National Spelling Bee
The winner was Kavya Shivashankar. Her winning word was Laodicean. She was sponsored by The Olathe News. She won $35,000 in cash and more than $5,000 in prizes. The runners-up were Aishwarya Pastapur, who misspelled menhir, and Tim Ruiter, who misspelled Maecenas. This was Kavya's fourth appearance in the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Six of the top ten spellers, including the winner, were Indian-American.
The standings were as follows:
- 1. Kavya Shivashankar of Olathe, Kansas.
- 2. (tie) Tim A. Ruiter of Centreville, Virginia.
- 2. (tie) Aishwarya Eshwar Pastapur of Springfield, Illinois.
- 4. Kyle M. Mou of Peoria, Illinois.
- 5. (tie) Anamika Veeramani of North Royalton, Ohio
- 5. (tie) Kennyi Kwaku Aouad of Terre Haute, Indiana.
- 5. (tie) Ramya Auroprem of San Jose, California.
- 8. (tie) Neetu Chandak of Seneca Falls, New York.
- 8. (tie) Sidharth Chand of Bloomfield Hills, Michigan.
- 8. (tie) Serena Skye Laine-Lobsinger of West Palm Beach, Florida.
- 11. Tussah Heera Adi of Las Vegas, Nevada.
81st Scripps National Spelling Bee
|82nd Scripps National Spelling Bee
May 26–28, 2009
83rd Scripps National Spelling Bee
|This article relating to education in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|