839th Air Division
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (January 2013)|
|839th Air Division|
839th Air Division emblem
|Active||26 September 1957–31 December 1974|
|Part of||see "Assignments" section below|
|Garrison/HQ||Sewart Air Force Base|
|Equipment||see "Aerospace vehicles" section below|
The 839th Airlift Division (322 AD) is an inactive United States Air Force organization. Its last assignment was with Military Airlift Command, assigned to Twenty-First Air Force, being stationed at Sewart Air Force Base, Tennessee. It was inactivated on 31 December 1974.
The unit was an intermediate command echelon for Tactical Air Command.
From October 1957, the division provided command and staff supervision of assigned units. Subordinate troop carrier units performed joint airborne training with Army forces, developed assault airlift operations, and participated in aerial demonstrations, tactical exercises, maneuvers, and joint operations. During 1966-1971, the assigned units provided worldwide airlift, aeromedical evacuation, and C-130 Hercules combat crew training.
The 839 AD supported forces deployed during the crises in Lebanon (July 1958), Taiwan (August 1958), Berlin (September 1961), Cuba (October-November 1962), and the Dominican Republic (April 1965-September 1966). The 839th also provided C-123 combat crew training (September 1969-August 1971) for both U.S. and Republic of Vietnam aircrews.
The command was inactivated in conjunction with the transfer of TAC C-130 units to Military Airlift Command.
- Established as 839 Air Division on 26 September 1957
- Activated on 8 October 1957
- Inactivated on 31 December 1974.
- Ninth Air Force, 8 October 1957
- Twelfth Air Force, 1 July 1963
- Ninth Air Force, 9 November 1964
- Twenty-First Air Force, 1–31 December 1974.
- 64 Troop Carrier (later, 64 Tactical Airlift): 1 July 1966-9 March 1970
- 313th Troop Carrier Wing: 1 October-9 November 1964
- 314th Troop Carrier Wing: 8 October 1957-27 January 1966
- 316th Tactical Airlift Wing: 31 March 1970-31 December 1974
- 317th Tactical Airlift Wing: 31 March 1970-31 December 1974
- 463d Troop Carrier Wing: 15 January 1959-1 July 1963
- 464th Troop Carrier Wing: 8 October 1957-1 December 1958
- 516th Troop Carrier Wing: 1 July 1963-9 November 1964
- 4442 School Squadron (later, 4442 Combat Crew Training Squadron; 4442 Combat Crew Training Group; 4442 Combat Crew Training Wing): 1 July 1962-26 February 1970.
- 61 Troop Carrier: 1 December 1965-1 July 1966
- 62 Troop Carrier: 1 December 1965-1 July 1966