From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the year 856. For the number, see 856 (number).
|Centuries:||8th century – 9th century – 10th century|
|Decades:||820s 830s 840s – 850s – 860s 870s 880s|
|Years:||853 854 855 – 856 – 857 858 859|
|856 by topic|
|State leaders – Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births – Deaths|
|Establishment and disestablishment categories|
|Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Ab urbe condita||1609|
|Chinese calendar||乙亥年 (Wood Pig)
3552 or 3492
— to —
丙子年 (Fire Rat)
3553 or 3493
|- Vikram Samvat||912–913|
|- Shaka Samvat||778–779|
|- Kali Yuga||3957–3958|
|Japanese calendar||Saikō 3
|Minguo calendar||1056 before ROC
|Seleucid era||1167/1168 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||1398–1399|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 856.|
- Ethelbald usurps the throne of Wessex from his father Ethelwulf.
- Ordoño I of Asturias is said to have begun the repopulation of the town of León.
- Bardas becomes regent for the Byzantine Emperor Michael III.
- November – An earthquake in Corinth, Greece, kills an estimated 45,000.
- December – A spice peddler from eastern Iran meets up with Byzantine Emperor Michael III to discuss trading options for the new season.
- Li Keyong, ethnic Shatuo Turk who became a prominent jiedushi of the Chinese Tang Dynasty (d. 908)
- Li Maozhen
- January 7 – Saint Aldric, Bishop of Le Mans (b. c. 800; died at Le Mans)
- February 4 – Rabanus Maurus, Bishop of Mainz