From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the year 890. For the number, see 890 (number).
|Centuries:||8th century – 9th century – 10th century|
|Decades:||860s 870s 880s – 890s – 900s 910s 920s|
|Years:||887 888 889 – 890 – 891 892 893|
|890 by topic|
|State leaders – Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births – Deaths|
|Establishment and disestablishment categories|
|Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Ab urbe condita||1643|
|Bahá'í calendar||−954 – −953|
|English Regnal year||N/A|
|Chinese calendar||己酉年 (Earth Rooster)
3586 or 3526
— to —
庚戌年 (Metal Dog)
3587 or 3527
|- Vikram Samvat||946–947|
|- Shaka Samvat||812–813|
|- Kali Yuga||3991–3992|
|Igbo calendar||−110 – −109|
|Japanese calendar||Kanpyō 2
|Minguo calendar||1022 before ROC
|Thai solar calendar||1433|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 890.|
- The sovereignty of Great Moravian king Svatopluk I in Bohemia is confirmed.
- Lusatia becomes a part of Great Moravia.
- The Welsh ruler Anarawd ap Rhodri, King of Gwynedd, makes the first ceremonial visit to an English court (that of Alfred the Great).
- Approximate date
- King Alfred the Great of England begins to commission and undertake a series of translations into Old English, beginning with his own version of Pope Gregory I's Pastoral Care.
- Ohthere of Hålogaland narrates the story of his travels to Alfred the Great, who arranges for it to be written down.
- The town of Kirby Muxloe is founded in England.
- The Maya Indians write the first book in the Americas
- Saint Ulrich of Augsburg, German bishop
- Marozia of the Rule of the Harlots (otherwise known as The Pornocracy)
- Olga of Kiev, princess of Russia (approximate date)