8th Air Defence Army
In 1988 it comprised the 49th and 60th Air Defence Corps.
Fighter Regiments of the 8th Army PVO 1988 (Source Feskov et al.)
|62nd Fighter Aviation Regiment||Belbek||Su-27P||Crimean Oblast|
|136th Guards Fighter Aviation Regiment||Kirovskoe (Кировское)||Su-27P||Not listed AFM 3/94. 1.6.92 taken over by Ukraine. (Holm)|
|146th Guards Fighter Aviation Regiment||Vasylkiv (air base)? (Васильков)||MiG-25PD||Taken over by Ukraine 1.6.92. Disbanded 1.6.93. (Holm)|
|179th Fighter Aviation Regiment||Stryi(Стрый)||MiG-23MLD||2.7.44 renamed 179 GvIAP. Disbanded 11.93. (Holm)|
|636th Fighter Aviation Regiment||Kramatorsk||МиГ-23П, Су-15ТМ||1.6.92 taken over by Ukraine. (Holm)|
|737th Fighter Aviation Regiment||Artsyz||MiG-23ML||Taken over by Ukraine 1.1.92. Disbanded 1998. (Holm)|
|738th Fighter Aviation Regiment||Zaporoshye-Mokroe, Zaporozhia Oblast||МиГ-23ML||738 иап 1945; disbanded 9 November 1990|
|894th Fighter Aviation Regiment||Ozerne||МiG-23ML/MLD||894 иап, activated 9 June 1942; taken over by Ukraine 1.1.92.(Holm)|
|933rd Fighter Aviation Regiment|
49th Air Defence Corps, 1988
HQ: Dnepropetrovsk, Dnepropetrovsk Oblast, 3.86 - 6.92
- 636th Fighter Aviation Regiment PVO (Kramatorsk, Donetsk Oblast)
- 933rd Fighter Aviation Regiment PVO (Dnepropetrovsk-Kaydaki, Dnepropetrovsk Oblast)(MiG-25PD)- taken over by Ukraine 1.6.92. Disbanded 15.5.96.
- 146th Guards Fighter Aviation Regiment PVO (Vasilkov, Kiev Oblast)
- 96th Anti-Aircraft Missile Brigade (Vasilkov, Kiev Oblast)
- 148th Anti-Aircraft Missile Brigade (Kharkov, Kharkov Oblast)
- 212th Anti-Aircraft Missile Brigade (Mariupol, Donetsk Oblast)
- 138th Anti-Aircraft Missile Regiment (Dnepropetrovsk, Dnepropetrovsk Oblast)
- 276th Anti-Aircraft Missile Regiment (Svetlovodsk, Kirovograd Oblast)
- 392nd Guards Anti-Aircraft Missile Regiment (Uman, Cherkassy Oblast)
- 613th Anti-Aircraft Missile Regiment (Krivoi Rog, Dnepropetrovsk Oblast)
- 508th Anti-Aircraft Missile Regiment (Donetsk, Donetsk Oblast)
- 317th Anti-Aircraft Missile Regiment (Lugansk, Lugansk Oblast)
- 138th Radio-Technical Brigade (Vasilkov, Kiev Oblast)
- 164th Radio-Technical Brigade (Kharkov, Kharkov Oblast)
- 95th Communications Center (Dnepropetrovsk, Dnepropetrovsk Oblast)
In June 1992 the corps was taken over by Ukraine.
60th Air Defence Corps
- 738th Fighter Aviation Regiment
The army as a whole was on Ukrainian territory when the Soviet Union dissolved and became the basis for the Ukrainian Air Defence Forces. From January 24, 1992, after the collapse of the USSR, 28th Air Defense Corps, previously subordinate to 2nd Air Defence Army was transferred under the 8th Air Defence Army.
- Michael Holm, 933rd Fighter Aviation Regiment PVO, accessed December 2012.
- V.I. Feskov et al 2004.