8th Brigade (Australia)
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (September 2008)|
|Type||Infantry with supporting arms|
|Size||comprises headquarters and 6 units|
|Part of||2nd Division|
|Motto||Generating Real-time Capability from Northern NSW|
|Commander 8th Brigade||Brigadier Allan A. Murray CSM|
8th Brigade traces it origins to 1912 when it was formed as a Militia Brigade. The 8th AIF Brigade fought as part of the 5th Division in World War 1. In World War 2, the 8th Brigade was a Militia Brigade that was part of the Defence of Australia (1942–44) and fought in the New Guinea campaign in 1944–45.
The 8th Brigade is one of six brigades of the Australian Army's 2nd Division, and includes units and personnel from Armoured, Artillery, Engineers, Infantry, Transport, Ordnance (Supply), EME, Medical and Nursing Corps as well as the Chaplains Department.
Under Plan BEERSHEBA, 8th Brigade will generate Battle Group WARATAH to reinforce the 7th Brigade of the Regular Army from mid-2015.
Units of 8th Brigade
- Headquarters 8th Brigade. Located in Dundas (Sydney).
- 12th/16th Hunter River Lancers. Located in Tamworth (Headquarters), Armidale, Muswellbrook and Singleton. Provides protected mobility. Commanding Officer Lieutenant Colonel James Cameron RAAC.
- 8th Engineer Regiment. Located in Newcastle (Headquarters), Dundas (Sydney) and Singleton. Provides combat and construction engineers. Commanding Officer Lieutenant Colonel Andrew Kennedy RAE.
- 2nd/17th Battalion, Royal New South Wales Regiment. Located in Sydney (Pymble (Headquarters), Dee Why, Kensington, Blacktown), Erina and Newcastle. With under command, 7th Light Battery, RAA with Troops in Admastown, Erina and Dee Why (Headquarters). Provides light infantry and mortars. Commanding Officer Lieutenant Colonel James McGann RAInf.
- 41st Battalion, Royal New South Wales Regiment. Located in Lismore (Headquarters), Coffs Harbour, Port Macquarie, Kempsey, Grafton, Armidale and Tweed Heads. Provides light infantry. Commanding Officer Lieutenant Colonel Don Quinn RAInf.
- University of New South Wales Regiment. Located Kensington (Headquarters), Adamstown, Coffs Harbour, Armidale and Pymble. Provides training courses for officer cadets and soldiers. Commanding Officer Lieutenant Colonel Alain Dunand RAA.
- 8th Combat Service Support Battalion. Located in Dundas, Sydney (Headquarters) and Newcastle. Provides 1st and some 2nd line logistics and health support. Commanding Officer Lieutenant Colonel Amanda Williamson RAEME.
8th Brigade occupies facilities across northern NSW. The largest being:
- Timor Barracks, Dundas (Sydney)
- Suakin Depot, Pymble (Sydney)
- Bullecourt Barracks, Adamstown (Newcastle)
All of the depots occupied by 8th Brigade are grouped into the Northern NSW Base for management of security, safety and facilities maintenance. The Base also includes the Cadet-only depots of Taree, Rutherford and Murwillumbah.
The one facility occupied by 8th Brigade elements that is not within the Northern NSW Base is at Lone Pine Barracks, Singleton.
The major training facility utilised by 8th Brigade elements is the Singleton Military Area. All courses conducted by the University of New South Wales Regiment are delivered at the Singleton Military Area.
Commander. Brigadier Allan A. Murray CSM. A graduate of the Royal Military College with a background in logistics and capability development. Former Commanding Officer of 8th Combat Service Support Battalion and Assistant Commander of 2nd Division. Has served with the University of New South Wales Regiment 1978, Operational Deployment Force 1984–85, British Army of the Rhine 1986, 5/7th Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment 1987–88; United Nations Truce Supervision Organisation 1992–93, Singapore Defence Force 1994, Headquarters Australian Theatre 1999 and Headquarters Logistic Support Force 2002–03.
Colonel Capability and Plans. Colonel Anthony McBride.
Colonel Training. Lieutenant Colonel Adrian Harding.
Chief of Staff.