8th arrondissement of Paris
|8th Arrondissement of Paris|
|French municipal arrondissement|
The Champs-Élysées in the 8th arrondissement during the Christmas season.
Paris and its closest suburbs
|• Mayor||François Lebel (CNIP)|
|• Total||3.88 km2 (1.50 sq mi)|
|Population (8 March 1999 census)[p]|
|• Estimate (2005)||38,700|
|• Density||10,000/km2 (26,000/sq mi)|
|^[p] Population sans doubles comptes: single count of residents of multiple communes (e.g. students and military personnel).|
Situated on the right bank of the River Seine and centred on the Champs-Élysées, the 8th is, together with the 1st, 9th, 16th and 17th arrondissement, one of Paris's main business districts. According to the 1999 census, it was the place of employment of more people than any other single arrondissement of the capital. It is also the location of many places of interest, among them the Champs-Élysées, the Arc de Triomphe and the Place de la Concorde, as well as the Élysée Palace, official residence of the President of France.
The land area of the arrondissement is 3.881 km2 (1.498 sq. miles, or 959 acres).
The arrondissement had its highest population of 107,485 in 1891. In 2006, with almost a third of that number, (39,088) it was Paris' 16th least densely populated arrondissement with 1.8% of the total.
(of French censuses)
(inh. per km²)
|1891 (peak of population)||107,485||27,695|
The head offices of AXA, Bouygues, Électricité de France (EDF), Eurazeo, GDF Suez, HSBC France, and Suez Environnement are located in this arrondissement. Standard & Poor's' France office is located in the 8th arrondissement. Air China and China Southern Airlines have their Paris offices in the arrondissement.
At one time the head office of Union des Transports Aériens was located in this arrondissement. The predecessor airline Union Aéromaritime de Transport also had its head office in the 8th arrondissement. When Suez existed, its head office was in the 8th arrondissement. When Unibail existed, its head office was in the arrondissement. At one time Groupe Danone had its head office in the 8th arrondissement. At one time Alcatel-Lucent's head office was located in the arrondissement. At one time Northwest Airlines had its Paris offices in the Madeleine station.
Places of interest
Districts or neighborhoods
- Quartier des Champs-Élysées
- Quartier du Faubourg-du-Roule
- Quartier de la Madeleine
- Quartier de l'Europe
Streets and squares
- "Mairie (French)". Retrieved July 3, 2012.
- "Contacts." AXA. Retrieved on 7 July 2010.
- "Contact Bouygues SA." Bouygues. Retrieved on 28 June 2010.
- "EDF : Pierre Gadonneix a son bureau avenue de Wagram." Le Journal du Net. Retrieved on 25 November 2010. "Cependant, le siège social se situe intra-muros, avenue de Wagram, dans le 8e arrondissement."
- "Contacts." Euroazeo. Retrieved on 8 September 2010.
- "Contact us." HSBC. Retrieved on 12 September 2011. "HSBC FranceHSBC FRance - Paris Address: 103 avenue des Champs-Elysees 75419 PARIS cedex 08"
- "Legal notice." Suez Environnement. Retrieved on 7 July 2010.
- "Office Locations Europe." Standard & Poor's. Retrieved on 12 August 2011. "40 rue de Courcelles Paris, France 75008 "
- "Worldwide offices Europe." Air China. Retrieved on October 19, 2012.
- "China Southern Airlines Contacts for Agents." China Southern Airlines. Retrieved on October 19, 2012. "125, Avenue des Champs Elysees 75008 Paris, France"
- World Airline Directory, Flight International, 29 March 1986, p. 135
- Translation of accident report in Rhodesia. Journal of the French Republic. Page 281. "Union Aéromaritime de Transport (U. A. T.), 5, boulevard Malesherbes, Paris (8e)"
- "Disclaimer." Suez. Retrieved on 7 July 2010.
- "page d'accueil." Unibail. 7 August 2002. Retrieved on 8 July 2010. "Unibail 5 Boulevard Malesherbes F-75802 Paris Cedex 08 France."
- "Danone Group's addresses." Groupe Danone. Retrieved on 26 July 2010.
- "la tête dans les étoiles." Le Journal du Net. Retrieved on 8 July 2010.
- "Northwest Airlines Ticket Offices." (Archive) Northwest Airlines. 13 June 1998. Retrieved on 29 May 2013. "FRANCE Northwest Airlines Metro Station / Madeleine 16 Rue Chauveau Lagarde 75008 Paris, France"
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Paris VIIIe arrondissement.|
- 8th arrondissement travel guide from Wikivoyage