||A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (January 2015)|
|Traded as||NASDAQ: EGHT|
|Industry||Cloud-based Business Communications Services|
|Headquarters||San Jose, CA, USA|
|CEO: Vik Verma|
|Products||Business VoIP Phone Service
Hosted Contact Centers
Number of employees
8x8 Inc.is the trusted provider of secure and reliable cloud-based unified communications and virtual contact center solutions to more than 40,000 businesses and government agencies operating in over 40 countries across six continents. 8x8 services include cloud-based voice, call center, video, mobile and unified communications solutions for medium to enterprise-sized multinational distributed location customers.
8x8 was founded in 1987 by Dr. Chi-Shin Wang and Dr. Y.W. Sing formerly of Weitek as Integrated Information Technology, Inc., or IIT. The name was changed in the early 1990s. They began IIT as a fabless vendor of semiconductor products for the math coprocessor and graphics chipset markets. The company produced x87 floating point coprocessor for the 286, 386 and 486 generations of microprocessors as well as graphics accelerator chips for the personal computer market during the late 1980s and early 1990s.
In 1992 the company began shipping a lossless data compression product called Xtradrive. In the early 1990s IIT began producing chips, software and other technologies for the videoconferencing market. The company changed its name to 8x8 and began marketing its own set-top videoconferencing systems for consumers under the ViaTV brand. 8x8 went public on the NASDAQ market in 1997, trading under the ticker symbol EGHT.
In January 1999, 8x8 launched a family of Voice over IP (VoIP) chips and software that were sold to IP phone, IP/PSTN gateway and other manufacturers of VoIP equipment. 8x8 acquired two companies (Odisei and U|Force), to acquire network/server VoIP technologies, and began selling an end-to-end VoIP services technology solution to service providers in 1999.
In 2002, the company relaunched itself as a VoIP service provider under the Packet8 brand. In 2003, it launched its first consumer videophone services on the Packet8 network. In 2004, the company became the first VoIP service provider to offer replacement, E-911 services to its subscribers. It also launched a suite of business services called Packet8 Virtual Office.
On 25 July 2002, 8x8 announced that its application for listing on the Nasdaq SmallCap Market had been approved. 8x8 retained its ticker symbol of EGHT, and began trading on the Nasdaq SmallCap Market on Friday, 26 July 2002.
On September 1, 2004, the company began selling their product at Fry's stores. 8x8 finished a series of TV commercials featuring San Francisco 49ers players. In 2009, 8x8 added Unified Communications to their portfolio and a contact center solution and mobile solutions in 2011.
8x8 has been awarded 101 patents related to semiconductors, computer architecture, video processing algorithms, videophones and communications technologies and security. In October 2014, 8x8 reported a customer base of more than 40,434 businesses. 1 May 2010, 8x8 acquired Central Host, a California-based managed hosting company and began offering cloud-based hosting services. On 20 June 2011, 8x8 announced the acquisition of Zerigo, a Colorado-based cloud services company and began offering cloud servers and managed DNS services. On 15 September 2011, 8x8 acquired Contactual, a leading hosted contact center company. In 2013, 8x8 acquired Voicenet, a United Kingdom-based cloud services company and expanded its offering of the 8x8 portfolio of cloud communications services in the UK.
Awards and Recognition
8x8 Recognized as a Leader in Gartner's Magic Quadrant for UCaaS, Multiregional for Third Consecutive Year in 2014
8x8 Wins Awarded the Ventana Research 2014 Business Technology Leadership Award for Cloud Contact Center Innovation
Frost & Sullivan Commends 8x8's Success in Delivering Customer Value in the Cloud Communications and Contact Center Industry
8x8 Recognized as Emerging Cloud Partner of the Year at Synergy 2015, Insight's Partner Forum
8x8's Cloud-Based Unified Communications and Contact Center Suite Wins ‘Best Midmarket Solution' Award at Midmarket CIO Forum
8x8 was named one of America's Best 100 Small Companies by Forbes with a ranking of #23 in October, 2013
8x8 was ranked #10 in the Forbes list "America's Best Small Companies: 20 Fast-Growing Tech Stars" in October, 2013
8x8 was named a market "leader" in Gartner's 2012 Magic Quadrant for Unified Communications as a Service (UCaaS) in North America
8x8 was recognized as the Market Leader in Hosted IP Telephony in North America in Frost & Sullivan's 2012 & 2013 reports
8x8 was named one of the top five Business VoIP Providers in North America by Infonetics Research for the 5th year in a row in May 2013
8x8 was awarded the Unified Communications TMC Labs Innovation Award in 2013
8x8 was awarded the 2012 Unified Communications Product of the Year by TMC for its Virtual Office and Virtual Office Pro service offerings in September 2012
8x8 was named Polycom's Partner of the Year in February 2013
- 8x8 Virtual Office: Business VoIP phone service that comes with voicemail, auto attendant, conference bridge, Outlook integration.
- 8x8 Virtual Office Pro: Unified communications bundle that includes business VoIP phone service, Internet faxing, call recording, and web conferencing
- 8x8 Virtual Office Enterprise: Business VoIP phone service for companies with over 1,000 extensions
- 8x8 Virtual Office Mobile: Extends Virtual Office phone service to iOS and Android devices
- 8x8 Virtual Meeting: Web conferencing with video, call recording, and content sharing
- 8x8 Virtual Contact Center: Hosted call center
- Interactive Intelligence
- Vonage Business Solutions
- Daisy Chan, CNN Money, "Best New Gadgets", 1 December 2004
- McClean, Bill. Profiles 1997: A Worldwide Survey of IC Manufacturers and Suppliers , retrieved 30 July 2008
- "FORM 10-K". United States SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION. 2007. Retrieved 21 January 2009.
- "8x8 Completes Acquisition of IP Telephony Software Developer". Business Wire. 25 May 1999. Retrieved 21 January 2009.
- "NETERGY NETWORKS TO ACQUIRE UFORCE". Securities Exchange Commission. 23 May 2000. Retrieved 21 January 2009.
- "8x8 Signs Agreement With TCS to Provide E911 Capabilities for All Packet8 Subscribers" (Press release). PR Newswire. 11 October 2005. Retrieved 21 January 2008.
- "FACE-TO-FACE VOIP COMING SOON;8X8 TO OFFER VIDEOPHONES IN BAY AREA".
- "8x8 Issued New Conferencing and Meeting Patent by U.S. Patent and Trademark Office" (Press release).
- "8x8, Inc. Reports Second Quarter Fiscal 2015 Financial Results" (Press release). October 22, 2014.
- "8x8 Announces Acquisition of Central Host, Inc." (Press release). GlobeNewswire. 6 May 2010. Archived from the original on 11 June 2010. Retrieved 7 June 2010.
- "8x8 Acquires Zerigo to Broaden Portfolio of Cloud Hosting Services" (Press release). GlobeNewswire. 20 June 2011. Retrieved 20 June 2011.
- "8x8, Inc. Completes Acquisition of UK-Based Voicenet Solutions" (Press release). December 2, 2013.
- "8x8 Recognized as a Leader in Gartner's Magic Quadrant for UCaaS, Multiregional for Third Consecutive Year". September 4, 2014.
- "8x8 Named a Recipient of the Ventana Research 2014 Business Technology Leadership Award for Cloud Contact Center Innovation". October 2, 2014.
- "Frost & Sullivan Commends 8x8's Success in Delivering Customer Value in the Cloud Communications and Contact Center Industry" (Press release). October 16, 2014.
- "8x8 Recognized as Emerging Cloud Partner of the Year at Synergy 2015, Insight's Partner Forum". October 31, 2014.
- "8x8's Cloud-Based Unified Communications and Contact Center Suite Wins ‘Best Midmarket Solution' Award at Midmarket CIO Forum". April 9, 2014.
- "America's Best Small Companies". Forbes. October 9, 2013.
- Colao, J.J. (October 9, 2013). "America's Best Small Companies: 20 Top Names In Tech". Forbes.
- "8x8 Named a Market ‘Leader' in the Magic Quadrant for Unified Communications as a Service (UCaaS) in North America". November 26, 2012.
- "Frost & Sullivan Names 8x8 the #1 Provider of Hosted IP Telephony". July 11, 2012.
- "Infonetics Scorecard ranks Comcast, Verizon, 8x8, XO top N. American business VoIP providers; IP connectivity becoming commodity". May 14, 2013.
- "8x8 Awarded 2013 Unified Communications TMC Labs Innovation Award". May 1, 2013.
- "8x8 Named Polycom Partner of the Year". February 12, 2013.