911 (Wyclef Jean song)
|Single by Wyclef Jean featuring Mary J. Blige|
|from the album The Ecleftic: 2 Sides II a Book|
|Released||June 27, 2000
July 11, 2002 (Australia)
|Genre||R&B, reggae fusion|
|Writer(s)||Brown, M./Jean, Wyclef/Duplessis, Jerry "Te Bass"/Cadet, K.|
|Producer||Jerry Duplessis, Wyclef Jean, Sedeck|
"911" is a duet between rap singer Wyclef Jean and soul music singer Mary J. Blige. It was released in the summer of 2000 off Wyclef's second disc, The Ecleftic: 2 Sides II a Book and was later included on Blige's compilation Reflections (A Retrospective). The song had success worldwide, particularly in Scandinavian countries.
Music and video
The song depicted two star-crossed lovers in a web of drama with the male narrator running from police while the female narrator worries forlornly over him. Outside influences are spoke about as evading both of their lives into saying "messing around with you is gonna get (the man) life" though they feel "it's worth the sacrifice".
Chart performances and awards
"911" was a hit for the two singers as it reached #38 on the Billboard Hot 100. The song was very successful in Sweden and in Norway where it reached number-one for almost two months. It earned a Platinum disc in Norway. It was also a top ten hit in Ireland, UK, Switzerland, Denmark, the Netherlands and Finland.
It was nominated for a Grammy for Best R&B Vocal Performance by a duo or group in 2001.
These are the formats and track listings of major single releases of "911".
- Recorded and mixed at the Hit Factory (NYC)
- Co-producer - Sedeck
- Engineer - Andy Grassi, Michael McCoy
- Mixing - Andy Grassi
- Producer - Jerry Duplessis, Wyclef Jean
- Vocals - Mary J. Blige
- Backing vocals - MB
- Video director - Marcus Raboy
- Video editing - Bruce Ashley
Charts and sales
"My Love" by Westlife
|Swedish number-one single
November 30, 2000 - December 28, 2000 (5 weeks)
"Can't Fight the Moonlight" by LeAnn Rimes
"Maybe Baby" by Christian Strand
|Norwegian VG-lista number-one single
53/2000 - 5/2001 (6 weeks)
"Ms. Jackson" by Outkast
- "Wyclef Jean featuring Mary J. Blige — "911"". Discogs. Retrieved 2009-08-11.
- ""911", in various singles charts". Lescharts. Retrieved 2009-08-11.
- "Irish Singles Chart, database". Irishcharts. Retrieved 2009-08-11.
- ""911", UK Singles Chart". Chartstats. Retrieved 2009-08-11.
- ", Billboard charts". Allmusic. Retrieved 2009-06-30.
- "2001 Belgian (Flanders) Singles Chart". Ultratop. Retrieved 2009-08-11.
- "2001 Belgian (Wallonia) Singles Chart". Ultratop. Retrieved 2009-08-11.
- "2001 French Singles Chart". Snep. Retrieved 2009-08-11.
- "2001 Swiss Singles Chart". Hitparade. Retrieved 2009-08-11.
- "Certification for every country in the world". IFPI. Archived from the original on 10 September 2008. Retrieved 2008-08-11.
- "2001 French certifications". Snep. Retrieved 2009-07-11.
- "Norwegian certifications". Ifpi. Retrieved 2009-08-11.