917th Fighter Group
|917th Fighter Group|
917th Fighter Group A-10 Thunderbolt II
|Active||1 August 1992-Present|
|Branch||United States Air Force|
|Part of||Air Force Reserve Command|
|Garrison/HQ||Barksdale Air Force Base, Louisiana|
|917th Fighter Group emblem|
|Attack||A-10 Thunderbolt II|
The 917th Fighter Group (917 FG) is an Air Reserve Component (ARC) of the United States Air Force. It is assigned to the 442d Fighter Wing, Air Force Reserve Command, stationed at Barksdale Air Force Base, Louisiana. If mobilized, the Wing is gained by the Air Combat Command.
Trained to conduct close air support and battlefield interdiction. Provided A-10 fighter training for reserve pilots until 1 Oct 1993 and after Oct 1996. Deployed A-10s and personnel to Italy to support NATO operations in the Balkans, 1993-1996.
Gained B-52s and a bombardment mission in 1993. Transferred B-52 squadron to 307th Operations Group, 8 January 2011.
- Established as 917th Operations Group, and activated in the Reserve, on 1 August 1992
- Re-designated: 917th Fighter Group, 13 January 2011
- 917th Fighter Wing (later Wing), 1 August 1992-13 January 2011
- 442d Fighter Wing, 13 January 2011-Present
- 46th Fighter Training Squadron: 1 August 1992-1 October 1993
- 47th Fighter Squadron: 1 August 1992-Present
- 93d Bomb Squadron: 1 October 1993-8 January 2011
- Barksdale AFB, Louisiana, 1 August 1992-Present
- A-10 Thunderbolt II, 1992-Present