From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Centuries:||9th century – 10th century – 11th century|
|Decades:||930s 940s 950s – 960s – 970s 980s 990s|
|Years:||960 961 962 – 963 – 964 965 966|
|963 by topic|
|State leaders – Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births – Deaths|
|Establishment and disestablishment categories|
|Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Ab urbe condita||1716|
|Bahá'í calendar||-881 – -880|
|English Regnal year||N/A|
|Chinese calendar||壬戌年 (Water Dog)
3659 or 3599
— to —
癸亥年 (Water Pig)
3660 or 3600
|- Vikram Samvat||1019–1020|
|- Shaka Samvat||885–886|
|- Kali Yuga||4064–4065|
|Igbo calendar||-37 – -36|
|Japanese calendar||Ōwa 3
|Minguo calendar||949 before ROC
|Thai solar calendar||1506|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 963.|
- Turkish Khan Sebük Tigin establishes his empire in modern day Afghanistan.
- The Nanping State is forced to surrender when invaded by Song Dynasty armies.
- The Song Dynasty Chinese government attempts to ban the practice of cremation; despite this decree, the lower and middle classes continue to cremate their dead, until the government resolves the problem in the 12th century by establishing public graveyards for paupers.
- Nikephoros II Phokas is proclaimed emperor by his troops in Caesarea on 2 July. After street fighting in Constantinople between his supporters and the men of the chief minister Joseph Bringas, he enters the city and is crowned emperor on 16 August. In September, he marries the empress Theophano, widow of Romanos II.
- The Monastery of Great Lavra at Mount Athos is founded by Athanasius the Athonite.
- Holy Roman Emperor Otto I defeats Mieszko I of Poland, compelling him to pay tribute.
- Luxembourg is founded.
- December 6 – Pope Leo VIII begins papacy as the 131st pope, a reign which initially runs concurrently with Pope John XII.
- March 15 – Romanos II, Byzantine Emperor (b. 939)
- April 3 – William III, Duke of Aquitaine
- April 18 – Stephen Lekapenos, co-emperor of Byzantium in 924–945