96th Illinois Volunteer Infantry Regiment
|96th Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry|
|Active||September 6, 1862 to June 10, 1865|
|Equipment||Battle of Chickamauga
Battle of Lookout Mountain
Battle of Missionary Ridge
Battle of Resaca
Battle of Kennesaw Mountain
Battle of Jonesboro
Battle of Franklin
Battle of Nashville
The 96th Illinois Infantry was organized at Rockford, Illinois and mustered into Federal service on September 6, 1862. It consisted of men from Jo Daviess County and Lake County, Illinois. The composition of the companies were drawn from a hat with Companies, A, E, F, H, I, and K going to Jo Daviess with D, C, D, and G filled by Lake County men. The original officers were Colonel Thomas E. Champion of Warren, Illinois and Lieutenant Colonel Issac L. Clarke of Waukegan, Illinois.
The regiment was mustered out on June 10, 1865.
Total strength and casualties
The regiment suffered 5 officers and 111 enlisted men who were killed in action or who died of their wounds and 1 officer and 124 enlisted men who died of disease, for a total of 241 fatalities.
- Colonel Thomas E. Champion - Mustered out with the regiment.
The Lake County Discovery Museum in Wauconda, Illinois maintains many records associated with the regiment at their Lake County History Archives. Their records collection focuses on Company B, and includes letters and photographs from the Young and Minto families.
- Link, Ed A Short History of the 96th Regiment in Spring 2011 Waukegan Historical Society newsletter
- http://www.civilwararchive.com/Unreghst/unilinf8.htm#96th The Civil War Archive website after Dyer, Frederick Henry. A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion. 3 vols. New York: Thomas Yoseloff, 1959.
- http://www.rootsweb.com/~ilcivilw/f&s/096-fs.htm Illinois in the Cvil war website after Illinois Adjutant General's muster rolls
- Charles A. Partridge, ed. (1897). History of the Ninety-sixth Regiment: Illinois Volunteer Infantry.
- The Civil War Archive
- Adjutant General's Report http://civilwar.ilgenweb.net/history/096.html
|This article about a specific military unit of the American Civil War is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|