From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Centuries:||9th century – 10th century – 11th century|
|Decades:||940s 950s 960s – 970s – 980s 990s 1000s|
|Years:||971 972 973 – 974 – 975 976 977|
|974 by topic|
|State leaders – Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births – Deaths|
|Establishment and disestablishment categories|
|Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Ab urbe condita||1727|
|Bahá'í calendar||-870 – -869|
|English Regnal year||N/A|
|Chinese calendar||癸酉年 (Water Rooster)
3670 or 3610
— to —
甲戌年 (Wood Dog)
3671 or 3611
|- Vikram Samvat||1030–1031|
|- Shaka Samvat||896–897|
|- Kali Yuga||4075–4076|
|Igbo calendar||-26 – -25|
|Japanese calendar||Ten'en 2
|Minguo calendar||938 before ROC
|Thai solar calendar||1517|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 974.|
- The Carmathians are defeated in Egypt by Jawhar as-Siqilli; Fatimid rule is consolidated there.
- An offensive by the Spain-based Umayyads, brings the Maghribi Idrissid dynasty to an end.
- The Byzantine Empire retakes Syria (including Aleppo) from the Abbasids.
- Al-Ta'i succeeds Al-Muti as Abbasid caliph of Baghdad.
- Fuzhou builds new city walls.
- The Liao Dynasty exchanges ambassadors with the Song Dynasty.
- In their offensive against the Southern Tang state, the Song Dynasty Chinese create and defend a long floating pontoon bridge across the Yangzi River, to secure military supply lines traveling to the other side.
- October – Pope Benedict VII succeeds Pope Benedict VI as the 135th pope.
- Antipope Boniface VII is declared pope.
- Benedictine Abbey in England is founded.
- An abbey is founded at the site of Mönchengladbach.