From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Centuries:||9th century – 10th century – 11th century|
|Decades:||940s 950s 960s – 970s – 980s 990s 1000s|
|Years:||973 974 975 – 976 – 977 978 979|
|976 by topic|
|State leaders – Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births – Deaths|
|Establishment and disestablishment categories|
|Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Ab urbe condita||1729|
|Bahá'í calendar||-868 – -867|
|English Regnal year||N/A|
|Chinese calendar||乙亥年 (Wood Pig)
3672 or 3612
— to —
丙子年 (Fire Rat)
3673 or 3613
|- Vikram Samvat||1032–1033|
|- Shaka Samvat||898–899|
|- Kali Yuga||4077–4078|
|Igbo calendar||-24 – -23|
|Japanese calendar||Ten'en 4 / Jōgen 1
|Minguo calendar||936 before ROC
|Thai solar calendar||1519|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 976.|
- Brian Boru is inaugurated as King of Munster.
- Samuil of Bulgaria starts his reign as Tsar.
- Leopold of Babenberg is appointed as Margrave of Austria. The Babenberg family rules Austria until 1246.
- The Yuelu Academy is founded during the early Song Dynasty of China.
- Zhang Sixun, a Chinese astronomer and engineer, employs the use of liquid mercury in order for the escapement mechanism of his astronomical clock to function and for metal parts not to rust by using hydraulics (water) or to freeze in winter.
- January 10 – John I Tzimiskes, Byzantine Emperor
- October 8 – Jelena of Zadar, Queen of Croatia
- November 14 – Emperor Taizu of Song
- Harald Greyhide, King of Norway
- Al-Hakam II, Caliph of Cordoba