From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Centuries:||9th century – 10th century – 11th century|
|Decades:||950s 960s 970s – 980s – 990s 1000s 1010s|
|Years:||977 978 979 – 980 – 981 982 983|
|980 by topic|
|State leaders – Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births – Deaths|
|Establishment and disestablishment categories|
|Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Ab urbe condita||1733|
|Bahá'í calendar||−864 – −863|
|English Regnal year||N/A|
|Chinese calendar||己卯年 (Earth Rabbit)
3676 or 3616
— to —
庚辰年 (Metal Dragon)
3677 or 3617
|- Vikram Samvat||1036–1037|
|- Shaka Samvat||902–903|
|- Kali Yuga||4081–4082|
|Igbo calendar||−20 – −19|
|Japanese calendar||Tengen 3
|Minguo calendar||932 before ROC
|Thai solar calendar||1523|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 980.|
- Otto II renounces his claim to Lorraine.
- The Viking ring castle of Trelleborg is constructed in Denmark.
- Foundation by Notger of the Prince-Bishopric of Liège which will remain an independent state inside the Holy Roman Empire for more than 800 years, and where the Walloon language will develop.
- Vladimir I of Kiev starts to rule in Russia.
- Development of Dari dialect during the royal courts of the Samanids in Central Asia which became the major language of Persia.
- Kamboja rule in Bengal is deposed by resurgent Palas.
- The Zanj Empire is founded by Ali ibn Hasan, succeeding the Kilwa Empire.
- Olof Skötkonung, king of Sweden 995–1022 (approximate date)
- Emperor Ichijō of Japan
- Godiva, Countess of Mercia
- Humbert I of Savoy
- Leif Ericson
- Malcolm II of Scotland
- Otto III, Holy Roman Emperor