|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2014)|
|Founded||Melbourne, Australia, 2008|
|Headquarters||San Francisco, United States|
Number of locations
|Australia, Europe, United States|
The company creates their products by crowdsourcing, as customers can solicit designers to submit designs for contests to create products such as websites, t-shirts, or logos. The customer then chooses the best design from the pool of submitted entries and the selected designer will win a cash payment. Customers also have the option of working with individual designers by purchasing design templates from 99designs’ Readymade logo store or by visiting Swiftly for quick graphic design fixes and steal logo's.
The company was co-founded in 2008 by Mark Harbottle and Matt Mickiewicz in Melbourne, Australia. The company opened its U.S. office in 2010, and in 2011 the company secured $35 million in Series A funding from Accel Partners and a handful of angel investors.
In 2012 99designs acquired the European creative services marketplace 12designer. The following year the company established their European headquarters in Berlin and launched localized versions of its services in German, French, Spanish, Dutch and Italian. The company also acquired Brazilian design marketplace LogoChef the same year.
- "Matt Mickiewicz: How I Started 99designs". Entrepreneur.com. Retrieved 1 May 2014.
- Walsh, Robert (2008). The Web Startup Success Guide. Apress. pp. 111–112. ISBN 1430219858.
- "How Both Crowdsourcing and Competition Sparked 99designs". Forbes. Retrieved 1 May 2014.
- Chapman, Lizette. "Accel Again Looks Down Under, Leads $35M For 99designs". WSJ. Retrieved 1 May 2014.
- Dubois, Lou. "Matt Mickiewicz, Co-founder of 99designs". Inc.com. Retrieved 1 May 2014.
- Lacy, Sarah. "Accel Invests $35M. in 99designs…After Years of Trying". Tech Crunch. Retrieved 1 May 2014.
- Empson, Rip. "99designs Makes Its First Acquisition, Scoops Up European Rival 12designer". Tech Crunch. Retrieved 1 May 2014.
- Koetsier, John. "Crowdsourcing giant 99designs acquires LogoChef, continues global expansion". Venture Beat. Retrieved 1 May 2014.
- Primack, Dan. "Why 99designs raised $35 million from Accel Partners". CNN. Retrieved 1 May 2014.
- "People's Voice Winner". Webby Awards. Retrieved 1 May 2014.