|Industry||social networking service|
|Founded||2010, Launch March 2011|
|Key people||Stephan Uhrenbacher (Chairman, Founder)
Roman Bach (CEO, Co-Founder)
Launched by German internet entrepreneur Stephan Uhrenbacher – founder of Qype, and former head of northern European operations for lastminute.com – the site is a European competitor to the US-based Airbnb. In 2014 Roman Bach was named CEO while Stephan Uhrenbacher steppend up to the advisory board. 
The founders secured funding from venture capital fund eVenture Capital Partners (CityDeal/Groupon) and launched 9flats.com in February 2011 with an inventory of 5,000 places. The company was initially based in nine different locations around the world, and is now headquartered in Berlin, with offices in Hamburg and Toronto.
In May 2011, 9flats secured another round of investment from venture capital funds Redpoint Ventures (HomeAway), ProFounder (ex-lastminute.com) and Greycroft Partners, bringing the total funding to $10m. In January 2012, 9flats completed a round of funding led by T-Venture, the venture capital arm of Deutsche Telekom AG. This round also included Redpoint Ventures and E-Venture Capital Partners (Hamburg).
In 2014 9flats has announced to be the first profitable player in the Social Travel Industry.
The website uses a collaborative consumption model to enable people to share resources. People looking for short-term accommodation book other people’s private places online or through a telephone booking line, and property owners pay a fee for this service. 9flats is the only player in this field that does not charge the guest anything - all fees are paid by the Host.
- Andrew, Couts. "Travel hotel-free by finding unique lodging online". Digital Trends. Digital Trends. Retrieved 21 March 2011.
- Solon, Olivia (17 May 2011). "9flats launches in UK, lets you rent your spare room to the web". wired.co.uk. Retrieved 21 March 2012.
- Palmer, Maija (28 October 2011). "Berlin emerges as technology challenger". Financial Times. Retrieved 21 March 2012.
- Seiderer, Sophia (16 March 2012). "Schlafplatzvermittlung im Internet: Von Sofa bis Penthouse". Die Welt. Retrieved 21 March 2012.
- Uhrenbacher, Stephan. "9flats.com". Stephan Uhrenbacher blog. Stephan Uhrenbacher. Retrieved 21 March 2012.
- Bradshaw, Tim (31 May 2011). "Airbnb moves ‘aggressively’ into Europe". Financial Times. Retrieved 21 March 2012.
- Bernau, Varinia (12 January 2012). "Was die Telekom mit Groupon und 9flats vorhat". Süddeutsche Zeitung. Retrieved 21 March 2012.
- 9flats. "9flats LinkedIn Overview". 9flats LinkedIn page. LinkedIn. Retrieved 11 April 2012.
- Hall, Max (11 January 2012). "9flats gets multi-million Deutsche Telekom funding". www.venturevillage.eu. Retrieved 21 March 2012.
- Tunguz, Tomasz. "How 'Collaborative Consumption' Is Transforming Startups". Huffington Post Business. www.huffingtonpost.com. Retrieved 3 March 2012.
- Gray Faust, Chris (October 23, 2011). "Airbnb, Couchsurfing, Roomorama on the rise". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved 11 April 2012.