9th Berlin International Film Festival
|9th Berlin International Film Festival|
|Awards||Golden Bear (Les Cousins)|
|Festival date||June 26 – July 7, 1959|
The 9th annual Berlin International Film Festival was held from June 26 to July 7, 1959. The festival welcome cinematic movement known as the New Wave and screening the work of directors such as Jean-Luc Godard, Agnès Varda and François Truffaut. The Golden Bear was awarded to the French film Les Cousins directed by Claude Chabrol.
The following people were announced as being on the jury for the festival:
- Robert Aldrich (Head of Jury)
- Johan Jacobsen
- Charles Ford
- John Bryan
- Ignazio Tranquilli
- Shigueo Miyata
- Wali Eddine Sameh
- O. E. Hasse
- Gerhard Prager
- Fritz Podehl
- Walther Schmieding
Films in competition
† Winner of the main award for best film in its section
The following prizes were awarded by the Jury:
- Golden Bear: Les Cousins by Claude Chabrol
- Silver Bear for Best Director: Akira Kurosawa for Kakushi-toride no san-akunin
- Silver Bear for Best Actress: Shirley MacLaine for Ask Any Girl
- Silver Bear for Best Actor: Jean Gabin for Archimède le clochard
- Silver Bear Extraordinary Prize of the Jury: Hayley Mills for Tiger Bay
- Youth Film Award
- "9th Berlin International Film Festival". berlinale.de. Retrieved 2010-01-05.
- "Berlinale beginnings". Retrieved 13 June 2014.
- "PRIZES & HONOURS 1959". berlinale.de. Archived from the original on 7 June 2014. Retrieved 7 June 2014.
- "JURIES 1959". berlinale.de. Archived from the original on 7 June 2014. Retrieved 7 June 2014.
- "PROGRAMME 1959". berlinale.de. Archived from the original on 7 June 2014. Retrieved 7 June 2014.
- 9th Berlin International Film Festival 1959
- 1959 Berlin International Film Festival
- Berlin International Film Festival:1959 at Internet Movie Database