A&M Octone Records
|A&M Octone Records|
|Parent company||Universal Music Group|
|Founded||2000 (Octone Records)
2007 (relaunched as A&M/Octone)
|Distributor(s)||Interscope-Geffen-A&M (in the US)
Universal Music Group (international)
|Country of origin||United States|
|Location||New York City, New York|
A&M Octone Records, stylized A&M/Octone Records is an American record label, which operates as one third of the Interscope-Geffen-A&M label group. It is a joint venture between Universal Music Group and Octone Records, also known as OctoScope Music. The label represents a merger of Interscope-Geffen-A&M's A&M Records label with Octone Records.
A full-service artist development label, A&M/Octone operates music publishing, merchandising and touring entities – in addition to specializing in recorded music. In late 2013, Interscope-Geffen-A&M acquired the 50% stake of Octone Records, it will be completed in mid-2014. It is currently uncertain of what is the future of the label's roster after the completed purchase.
Founded in 2000, Octone Records was established by CEO/President James Diener and distributed through Sony BMG. After successful signing, release, marketing and promotion on Octone, artists were given the option of upstreaming to RCA Music Group, via a joint-venture between the two companies. Upon launch, Diener and Octone Records were also well known in the music industry for their entrepreneurial private-equity financing model.
In February 2007, Interscope-Geffen-A&M partnered with Octone Records to relaunch the A&M label, now headed by James Diener and called A&M/Octone Records with worldwide distribution handled by parent Universal Music Group. The existing Octone roster was transferred to the A&M/Octone label and all new artist signings are made under the A&M/Octone joint venture.
- James Diener, CEO/President
- David Boxenbaum, General Manager/Chief Operating Officer
- Ben Berkman, EVP/Head of Promotion
- Rome Thomas, Senior Vice President Sales & Artist Development
- Nina Webb, Head Of Marketing
- Roi Hernandez, Head of Creative Services & Electronic A&R
- Maroon 5
- Hollywood Undead
- Drop City Yacht Club
- Hunter Hunted
- Kevin Hammond
- The Knocks
- Bombay Bicycle Club
- Kat Graham
- Ray C
- As Fast As
- Dropping Daylight
- The Hives
- Paper Tongues
- Michael Tolcher
- Miss Willie Brown
- Nancy, Hass (April 16, 2007). "Sounds Like Money". Portfolio. Archived from the original on 18 March 2010. Retrieved February 8, 2010.
- Todd, Martens (February 20, 2007). "Interscope Geffen A&M Shifting To Octone". Billboard. Retrieved February 8, 2010.
- A&M/Octone Records official website
- Octone Records Harvard Business School case study
- May 2008 Billboard Magazine interview
- June 2009 Los Angeles Times interview
- July 2009 Music Business Registry interview
- January 2010 CNN/Money video profile
- January 2010 Fortune Magazine feature
- March 2010 NY Enterprise Report cover story
- September 2010 Wall Street Journal "Walkabout NY" Interview
- A&M/Octone Records - Harvard Business School Case Study Part II
- November 2010 Fast Company on A&M/Octone Records, K'Naan & Coca Cola
- January 2011 MIDEM Convention panel in Cannes, Frances w/James Diener discussing K'Naan/Coca Cola World Cup campaign & A&M/Octone artist development