A. A. Long
Anthony Arthur Long (born 17 August 1937) is a British and naturalised American classical scholar and Professor of Classics and Irving Stone Professor of Literature at the University of California, Berkeley.
Between 1961 and 1971 he held lecturer positions in Classics at University of Otago, New Zealand, the University of Nottingham and University College, London, where in 1971 he was promoted to the position of Reader. In 1973 Long moved to the University of Liverpool to take up the post of Gladstone Professor of Greek, a position he held until assuming his current position of Professor of Classics at University of California, Berkeley in 1982. While at University College, London he supervised the doctoral thesis of David Sedley, the seventh Laurence Professor of Ancient Philosophy at Cambridge University.
He was elected a Fellow of the British Academy in 1992.
- Language and Thought in Sophocles. A Study of Abstract Nouns and Poetic Technique (Athlone Press, London, 1968)
- Problems in Stoicism, (editor) (Athlone Press, London, 1971)
- Hellenistic Philosophy. Stoics, Epicureans, Sceptics (Gerald Duckworth and Charles Scribner's Sons, London and New York, 1974)
- The Hellenistic Philosophers. vol. 1 The principal sources in translation with philosophical commentary with D.N.Sedley (Cambridge University Press, 1987)
- The Hellenistic Philosophers Vol. 2 Greek and Latin texts with notes with D.N.Sedley (Cambridge University Press, 1987)
- Theophrastus of Eresus. On His Life and Work, (co-editor with P.M. Huby and W.W. Fortenbaugh), (New Brunswick and Oxford, 1985)
- The Question of Eclecticism. Studies in later Greek Philosophy, (co-editor with J. Dillon) (University of California Press, 1988)
- Ierocle, with G. Bastianini, in Corpus dei papiri filosofici greci e Latini, vol. 1 (Florence, 1992): pp. 268–441
- Images and Ideologies: Self-definition in the Hellenistic World, (co-editor with A.W. Bulloch, E.S. Gruen, A. Stewart) (University of California Press, 1993)
- Stoic Studies (Cambridge University Press, 1996)
- The Cambridge Companion to Early Greek Philosophy, (editor) (Cambridge University Press, 1999): pp. xxxii+413 translated into German (2001)
- Epictetus. A Stoic and Socratic Guide to Life (Clarendon Press, Oxford, 2002)
- From Epicurus to Epictetus: Studies in Hellenistic and Roman Philosophy (Oxford University Press, 2006)
- CV of A. A. Long
- British Academy: Listing of corresponding fellows - habitually resident outside the United Kingdom