A. B. Miller High School
|(Fontana) A. B. Miller High School
|Fontana, California, United States|
|School district||Fontana Unified School District|
|Number of students||3006 (2008–2009 school year)|
|Color(s)||Red and Black|
A.B. Miller High School is named after Azariel Blanchard Miller (1878–1941) who is credited as the founder of the city of Fontana. In 1905, he brought 200 head of horse, mules, plows, scrapers and tents into the area and began transforming 17,000 acres of sand, sage brush and rock into a great citrus fruit, poultry and live stock farm.
Placement on low-performing schools list
In March 2010, Fontana A.B. Miller High School was placed on a list of the lowest performing high schools in the county. A transformation model was put in place in the school, which called for the replacement of the principal and rewarding teachers based on student performance. The principal was not replaced at that time, however, due to being on the job less than 2 years. Fontana Unified School district, home to three of the 188 lowest performing schools in the state, is slated to receive $5.7 million in School Improvement Grants (SIG) to support improvements.
Out of the 3,006 students enrolled during the 2008–2009 school year, the ethnic breakdown was:
- 8.3% African-American
- 7.5% Caucasian
- 0.9% Asian
- 81.6% Hispanic or Latino
- 1.7% Others
- Abe Alvarez, former professional baseball pitcher with the Palfinger Reggio Emilia of Italy's Serie A1
- Jesse Chavez, Major League Baseball player for the Oakland Athletics
- Alexis Serna, Canadian Football League player who is currently a free agent
- Nick Barnett, NFL player for the Buffalo Bills
- Bobby Green, 2x state placer in wrestling; professional Mixed Martial Artist for the UFC
- "Our High Schools". Retrieved 2011-01-22.
- "School Names". Retrieved 2011-01-22.
- "http://www.sbsun.com/news/ci_14635061". San Bernardino Sun. Retrieved 2011-12-12.[dead link]
- "Seven San Bernardino schools named among state's worst". dailynews.com. Retrieved 27 Aug 2010.
- "Seven San Bernardino City Schools Among State’s Lowest Performing". blackvoicenews.com. Retrieved 27 Aug 2010.
- "$57.6 million set to go to San Bernardino schools". Redlands Daily Facts. Retrieved 27 Aug 2010.
- "2008-09 School Accountability Report Card". Retrieved 2011-12-12.
- "Abe Alvarez Stats". Baseball Almanac. Retrieved December 3, 2012.
- "Jesse Chavez Stats". Baseball Almanac. Retrieved December 3, 2012.
- "Alexis Serna Stats". National Football League. Retrieved December 19, 2012.
- "Bobby Green UFC Bio". Retrieved 2014.