A. K. Shiva Kumar
|A. K. Shiva Kumar|
A. K. Shiva Kumar being interviewed
|Born||29 June 1956|
A. K. Shiva Kumar is a development economist and professor. He teaches various courses at Harvard University, Indian School of Business and Young India Fellowship In addition to serving as an advisor to UNICEF - India, he is a member of India's National Advisory Council. The council was set up in June 2004 to oversee the implementation of India’s National Common Minimum Programme.
A. K. Shiva Kumar earned his postgraduate diploma in management from the Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad, and his M.A. in economics from Bangalore University. He also holds a master's degree in public administration and a Ph.D in political economy and government from Harvard University. At Harvard, Kumar's PhD supervisor was Nobel Laureate Amartya Sen.
Kumar teaches economics and public policy at the Harvard Kennedy School and is a visiting professor at the Indian School of Business in Hyderabad. He has focused his research on poverty and human development, social sector analysis, and the impact of development policies on children and women. He is recipient of the MacArthur Fellowship, Mason Fellowship, and the Certificate of Excellence in Teaching from Harvard University. He serves as the President of the Board of Trustees of Sanskriti Foundation. Dr. Kumar is the convener of the Kolkata Group Meeting annual workshops which are organised by Pratichi (India) Trust, the Harvard Global Equity Initiative and UNICEF India - and supervised and led by Amartya Sen.
Kumar has been a regular contributor to UNDP's Annual Human Development Reports. He has also been associated with the preparation of national human development reports in a number of countries including Bhutan, Maldives, Mongolia, Myanmar and Serbia. He was appointed by the Government of Sikkim as advisor for formulating Sikkim’s second Human Development Report. In 2003, Kumar co-edited the book Readings in Human Development. His other publications include the Public Report on Basic Education (PROBE) (Oxford University Press, 1999) and a co-authored report entitled, Women in India: How free? How Equal, for the UN System in India. He also put together The Oxford Handbook of Population and Development. Dr. Kumar released the Delhi Human Development Report 2013 along with Delhi CM Sheila Dixit and Vice-President Hamid Ansari.
- "National Advisory Council members profiles". Retrieved 2008-04-11.[dead link]
- "ET". Economic Times. Retrieved 15 September 2013.
- "Indian School of Business Faculty information". Retrieved 2008-04-11.
- "Sanskriti Foundation Board of Trustees". Sanskriti Foundation. Retrieved 26 August 2013.
- "Tag Archives: Amartya Sen". kracktivist. Retrieved 1 September 2013.
- "National Portal of Bhutan UNDP Assistance to be evaluated". Retrieved 2008-04-11.
- "AK Shiva Kumar is Advisor for Sikkim's Human Dev report". iSikkim. 2011-06-09. Retrieved 2014-02-09.
- Oxford University Press: Handbook of Population and Development in India: A. K, Shiv Kumar[dead link]
- "Delhi Human Development Report 2013". Institute for Human Development. Retrieved 1 September 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to A. K. Shiva Kumar.|
On Wikibooks ⇒ Interview to A. K. Shiva Kumar
On YouTube ⇒ Shiva Kumar playlist
On YouTube ⇒ Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan - playlist
On YouTube ⇒ Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act - playlist