A. L. Kennedy
|A. L. Kennedy|
|Born||Alison Louise Kennedy
22 October 1965
Alison Louise "A. L." Kennedy (born 22 October 1965) is a Scottish writer of novels, short stories and non-fiction. She is known for her characteristically dark tone, a blending of realism and fantasy, and for her serious approach to her work. She contributes columns and reviews to UK and European newspapers.
Life and work
In 1996, she won the Encore Award for her second novel So I Am Glad. In 2007, she won a Lannan Literary Award, was awarded an honorary D.Litt degree from the University of Glasgow, and her novel of that year Day was named Costa Book of the Year in the Costa Book Awards.
In 2007 she won the Austrian State Prize for European Literature. In 2009, she donated the short story Vanish to Oxfam's 'Ox-Tales' project, four collections of UK stories written by 38 authors. Her story was published in the 'Air' collection.
Kennedy currently lives in London and is an Associate Professor in Creative Writing at the University of Warwick, having previously taught creative writing at the University of St Andrews. She performs as a stand-up comedian at the Edinburgh Fringe, comedy clubs and literary festivals. She is principally associated with The Stand Comedy Club in Edinburgh. 
- Looking for the Possible Dance (1993) ISBN 978-0-7493-9758-6
- So I Am Glad (1995) ISBN 978-0-09-945721-3
- Everything You Need (1999) ISBN 978-0-09-973061-3
- Paradise (2004) ISBN 978-0-09-943349-1
- Day (5 April 2007) ISBN 978-0-09-949405-8
- The Blue Book (4 August 2011) ISBN 978-0-224-09140-4
Short story collections
- Night Geometry and the Garscadden Trains (1990) ISBN 978-0-09-945006-1
- Now That You're Back (1994) ISBN 978-0-09-945711-4
- Tea and Biscuits (1996) ISBN 978-1-85799-757-6
- Original Bliss (1997) ISBN 978-0-09-973071-2
- Indelible Acts (2002) ISBN 978-0-09-943348-4
- What Becomes (6 August 2009) ISBN 978-0-224-07787-3
- Life & Death of Colonel Blimp (1997) ISBN 0-85170-568-5
- On Bullfighting (1999) ISBN 0-224-06099-6
- Luwak Care and Breeding (2010) ISBN 0-123
- Confessions of a Medium (2010), broadcast as the Saturday Play on BBC Radio 4, 13 March 2010 and 1 March 2013
- Happy Families (2011), broadcast on BBC Radio 3, 1 September 2011
- Love Love Love Like The Beatles (2012), broadcast as the Afternoon Drama on BBC Radio 4, 26 June 2012
- "A. L. Kennedy". British Council Literature.
- A.L. Kennedy. "Encore". Encoreaward.com. Retrieved 2013-10-08.
- Brown, Mark (23 January 2008). "Perfect Day for AL Kennedy as she takes Costa book prize". The Guardian (London). Retrieved 23 January 2008.
- "Literatur-Staatspreis an Britin verliehen". ORF Salzburg (Austrian Broadcasting Company). 27 July 2008. Retrieved 27 July 2008.
- The Spectator 1 July 2009 , "Telling Tales"
- "AL Kennedy", Courses, Creative Writing, Staff, University of Warwick
- "AL Kennedy: interview", Daily Telegraph, 5 August 2011
- "BBC Radio 4 - Saturday Drama, Confessions of a Medium". BBC Radio 4. Retrieved 1 March 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to A. L. Kennedy.|
- Official website
- A. L. Kennedy at British Council: Literature
- A L Kennedy at the Guardian
- BBC profile
- AL Kennedy reading at writLOUD in London