A. L. Kennedy
|A. L. Kennedy|
Kennedy in 2012
|Born||Alison Louise Kennedy
22 October 1965
Alison Louise "A. L." Kennedy (born 22 October 1965) is a Scottish writer of novels, short stories and non-fiction, and stand-up comedian. She is known for her characteristically dark tone, a blending of realism and fantasy, and for her serious approach to her work. She contributes columns and reviews to European newspapers.
Life and work
Kennedy was born in Dundee and attended the High School of Dundee. Her father, a psychology lecturer, and her mother, a teacher, divorced when she was 10. She has a degree in theatre studies and drama from the University of Warwick.
Kennedy currently lives in London and is an Associate Professor in Creative Writing at the University of Warwick, having previously taught creative writing at the University of St Andrews. She performs as a stand-up comedian at the Edinburgh Fringe, comedy clubs and literary festivals. She is principally associated with The Stand Comedy Club in Edinburgh.
Awards and honours
- 1996 Encore Award winner So I Am Glad
- 2007 Lannan Literary Award from the University of Glasgow
- 2007 Austrian State Prize for European Literature winner.
- 2007 Costa Book Awards Book of the Year, winner for Day
- 2014 Frank O'Connor International Short Story Award shortlist All the Rage
- Looking for the Possible Dance (1993) ISBN 978-0-7493-9758-6
- So I Am Glad (1995) ISBN 978-0-09-945721-3
- Everything You Need (1999) ISBN 978-0-09-973061-3
- Paradise (2004) ISBN 978-0-09-943349-1
- Day (5 April 2007) ISBN 978-0-09-949405-8
- The Blue Book (4 August 2011) ISBN 978-0-224-09140-4
Short story collections
- Night Geometry and the Garscadden Trains (1990) ISBN 978-0-09-945006-1
- Now That You're Back (1994) ISBN 978-0-09-945711-4
- Tea and Biscuits (1996) ISBN 978-1-85799-757-6
- Original Bliss (1997) ISBN 978-0-09-973071-2
- Indelible Acts (2002) ISBN 978-0-09-943348-4
- What Becomes (6 August 2009) ISBN 978-0-224-07787-3
- All the Rage (2014) ISBN 978-0544307049
- Life & Death of Colonel Blimp (1997) ISBN 0-85170-568-5
- On Bullfighting (1999) ISBN 0-224-06099-6
- Luwak Care and Breeding (2010)
- Confessions of a Medium (2010), broadcast as the Saturday Play on BBC Radio 4, 13 March 2010 and 1 March 2013
- Happy Families (2011), broadcast on BBC Radio 3, 1 September 2011
- Love Love Love Like The Beatles (2012), broadcast as the Afternoon Drama on BBC Radio 4, 26 June 2012
- Fox, Genevieve (5 August 2011). "AL Kennedy: interview". The Daily Telegraph.
- "BBC Two – Writing Scotland – AL Kennedy". BBC. September 2004. Retrieved 4 July 2014.
- The Spectator 1 July 2009 , "Telling Tales"
- "AL Kennedy", Courses, Creative Writing, Staff, University of Warwick
- "AL Kennedy: interview", Daily Telegraph, 5 August 2011
- A.L. Kennedy. "Encore". Encoreaward.com. Retrieved 2013-10-08.
- "Literatur-Staatspreis an Britin verliehen". ORF Salzburg (Austrian Broadcasting Company). 27 July 2008. Retrieved 27 July 2008.
- Brown, Mark (23 January 2008). "Perfect Day for AL Kennedy as she takes Costa book prize". The Guardian (London). Retrieved 23 January 2008.
- Alison Flood (13 June 2014). "Frank O'Connor prize shortlist pits 'masters' against first-timers". The Guardian. Retrieved June 16, 2014.
- "BBC Radio 4 - Saturday Drama, Confessions of a Medium". BBC Radio 4. Retrieved 1 March 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to A. L. Kennedy.|
- Official website
- A. L. Kennedy at British Council: Literature
- A L Kennedy at the Guardian
- BBC profile
- AL Kennedy reading at writLOUD in London