A. P. Leto High School
|A.P Leto High School|
Where Students EXCEL beyond their highest expectations
|4409 W. Sligh Avenue
Tampa, Florida, 33614
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Hillsborough County Public Schools|
|Grades||9 - 12|
|Color(s)||Red, Gold, and White
A. P. Leto High School is a public high school within the Hillsborough County Public Schools system and is located at 4409 West Sligh Avenue in Tampa, Florida, U.S.A. In addition to the four high school grades, Leto also hosts adult night school. Victor Fernandez, the current principal, was appointed in April 2009.
Ethnicity / Demographics
|327||18.27%||White, Non Hispanic|
|184||10.28%||Black (African-American), Non Hispanic|
|36||2.01%||Asian / Pacific Islander|
|3||0.17%||American Indian / Alaskan Native|
The school is named in honor of Ateo Phillip Leto, a former principal at Jefferson High School and at Chamberlain High School in Tampa. He was originally to serve as the school's first principal, but he died before the school year began. The first principal of Leto was Frank M. Farmer. After Leto, Farmer became the Assistant Superintendent for Instruction for the Hillsborough County School System until his retirement in 1986. His retirement celebration took place in the Leto High School library.
Leto was established in 1965 with grades 9-11, and the first graduating class was in 1967. Although the largest school in Hillsborough County, it lacked a gymnasium and a stadium. Leto opened with 1,670 students its first year. The school is situated on 37 acres (150,000 m2).
The school colors are Vegas gold, scarlet red, and white. The school mascot is the Falcon. Several traditions continue to be upheld at Leto to include Class Capers, Spirit Week, and Night to Fly.
- The Leto Legend - Student-run and produced newspaper for Leto High School
- The Quill - Literary magazine of student poetry, art and prose
- The Talon - Student-run and produced yearbook for Leto High School
In addition, the Alma Mater, "Voices proud in praises sing", was written by a student during Leto's first academic year, 1965–1966. Copyright law protects this unpublished and anonymous work until 2086, so it may be found on the school's official website.
- 2012 = 69%
- 2004-05 = 86%
- 2003-04 = 81%
- 2001-02 = 69%
- 2000-01 = 67.9%
- 1999-00 = 59%
School Report Card
- 2013-14 = B
- 2008-09 = D
- 2007-08 = C
- 2006-07 = B
- 2005-06 = C
- 2004-05 = C
- 2003-04 = D
- 2002-03 = D
- 2001-02 = D
- 2000-01 = C
- 1999-00 = C
- 1998-99 = C
Leto was one of 16 schools nation-wide selected by the College Board for inclusion in the EXCELerator School Improvement Model program beginning the 2007-2008 school year. The project was funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
- Logan Lamping '97 (USAF Test Pilot) - Captain in the United States Air Force, selected as the 92nd pilot to fly the F-35 Lightning II; conducted the first live fire demonstration of the Joint Strike Fighter in October, 2013. 
- Michael Jenkins '99 (Mike Jenkins) - Wide Receiver in the NFL, who currently plays for the New England Patriots. All time leader in receiving yardage for The Ohio State University Buckeyes.
- Damu Cherry '95 (American Hurdler) Damu Cherry qualified for the 2008 U.S. Olympic team. She placed 3rd in her first round and won her semi-final heat. She ended up placing 4th in the final.
- Gary Huff '69 - NFL football player who quarterbacked the first win in Buccaneers history in 1977.
- Hercules '74 Professional wrestler.
- Matt Vogler - American football player
- "Fernandez to Leto!". Hillsborough County Public Schools. Retrieved 2009-06-16.
- "Leto Information". Hillsborough County Public Schools. Retrieved 2009-01-27.
- "Leto Alma Mater". 1965–1966. Retrieved 2014-12-09.
- "Guided Self-Study". Leto High School. April 25, 2006. Retrieved 2009-01-27.
- "Leto School Accountability Report". Florida Department of Education. Retrieved 2007-09-22.
- Mizell, Hubert. “Buccaneers win one!” St. Petersburg Times. 12 Dec 1977
- "HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY LEGENDS". bigcountypreps.com. Retrieved December 29, 2014.