A. Y. Jackson Secondary School (Toronto)
|A. Y. Jackson Secondary School|
|50 Francine Drive
Toronto, Ontario, M2H 2G6, Canada
|School board||Toronto District School Board|
|Area trustee||Mari Rutka|
|Vice principal||Helen Vokus
|School type||High school|
|Team name||Jackson Jaguars|
|Colours||Black and Orange|
|Homepage||A.Y. Jackson Secondary School|
A. Y. Jackson Secondary School is a secondary school for grades 10 to 12 located in North York, the northern district of Toronto, Ontario, Canada. It is located in the North York community of Metropolitan Toronto. It was opened in 1970 by the North York Board of Education, and is now operated by its successor, the Toronto District School Board. The school was designed by Toronto architect Raymond Moriyama and named after A. Y. Jackson, a Canadian painter and one of the founders of the Group of Seven.
The student population of A.Y Jackson is very diverse, with a large component of English as Second Language students (over 40%). Located on the west side of Hillcrest Village-the most Asian-dominant neighbourhood in North York, the student body is mainly of Asian descent with over half of the overall population being Chinese. As of 2013, A.Y Jackson has a student population of 980. 
The school offers Advanced Placement course in Grade 12 English, Economics, Advanced Functions and Calculus. It also offers language courses in Japanese, Mandarin, Spanish and French which are all taught at four levels.
Approximately 80% and 15% of the students plan to attend university and college, respectively. More than 25 percent of students are accepted into the university program of their choice. Almost 50 percent of graduates attend community colleges. On province wide literacy tests, A. Y. Jackson students' pass rate is 93 percent. The school also has a fantastic record of success in national and international competitions in mathematics, the sciences, computer studies and business education.
One of the greatest challenges for the school is maintaining course selection given the enrollment decline of 20 to 30 students annually. It is currently offering dual credit courses which allows student to earn both college and university credits in one course.
Swimming club Richmond Hill Swimming Dragons hold weekly practices in the school's pool.
Its two feeder schools are Zion Heights Junior High School and Highland Junior High School, with a significant number of students also coming from Pleasant View Junior High School. The gifted students from Zion Heights go to Don Mills Collegiate Institute.
- Adam Graves, former NHL hockey player
- Alex Lifeson, guitarist for the rock group Rush
- Daniel Negreanu, professional poker player
- David Zimmer, MPP for Willowdale
- Gerald Eaton, Rhythm and blues singer
- Henry Lau, singer, dancer, and a member of Super Junior-M
- Howie Beck, singer/songwriter
- Merrill Nisker (better known as Peaches), electronica musician
- Monita Rajpal, CNN International news anchor
- Orville Lee, retired CFL running back.
- Rebecca Eckler, journalist and author
- Sorel Mizzi, professional poker player
- Suhana Meharchand, broadcaster
BJ Wilson - Morning Radio Personality
- A. Y. Jackson Secondary School website
- A. Y. Jackson S.S. Science Department Website
- Toronto District School Board: A. Y. Jackson Secondary School, with a school profile (.pdf)