| A9 road
|North end:||John o' Groats|
|Thurso, John o' Groats|
It branches from the A9 near Tain and runs generally north through Bonar Bridge and Lairg, until Tongue. Between Lairg and Tongue the road is single track for 38 miles (61 km). At Tongue the road turns east, following the north coast, passing through Thurso, and eventually ending at John o' Groats, where it meets the A99.
Towns, villages and junctions
The A882 runs through or near towns and villages listed below. Junctions listed are with other classified roads.
- Tain, A9, Ordnance Survey grid reference NH750843
- Struie Wood, B9176, grid reference NH633872
- Bonar Bridge, A949, NH610915
- Lairg, A839, NC581059 and NC582064
- Near Lairg, A838, NC573099
- This A838 junction is about one mile (2 km) north of Lairg. The A838 runs generally northwest, then generally north to Durness and then generally east to rejoin the A836 at Tongue.
- Altnaharra, B873, NC569359
- Tongue, A838, NC594579
- From Tongue the A838 runs generally west/northwest to Durness and then southwest and southeast back to the A836 near Lairg. At Tongue the A836 turns to run generally east.
- Near Bettyhill, B871, NC711576
- Near Melvich, A897, NC898632
- Thurso, A9, ND108689
- Thurso, B874, ND116683
- From the A836/A9 in central Thurso the B874 leads generally south towards Halkirk.
- Thurso, A9, ND119681
- John o' Groats, A99, ND380728