An AAA or triple-A battery is a standard size of dry cell battery commonly used in portable electronic devices. A carbon-zinc battery in this size is designated by IEC as "R03", by ANSI C18.1 as "24", by old JIS standard as "UM 4", and by other manufacturer and national standard designations that vary depending on the cell chemistry.
A triple-A battery is a single cell and measures 44.5 mm in length and 10.5 mm in diameter. Alkaline AAA batteries weigh around 11.5 grams each, while lithium AAAs weigh about 7.6 g. Rechargeable nickel–metal hydride (NiMH) AAAs typically weigh 14–15 g.
AAA batteries are commonly used in small electronic devices, such as TV remote controls, MP3 players and digital cameras. Devices that require the same voltage, but have a higher current draw, are often designed to use larger batteries such as the AA battery type. AA batteries have about three times the capacity of AAA batteries. With the increasing efficiency and miniaturisation of modern electronics, many devices which previously were designed for AA batteries (remote controls, and cordless computer mice and keyboards, etc.) are being replaced by models that accept AAA cells.
As of 2007, AAA batteries accounted for 24% of alkaline primary battery sales in the United States. In Japan as of 2011, 28% of alkaline primary batteries sold were AAA. In Switzerland as of 2008, AAA batteries totalled 30% of primary battery sales and 32% of secondary battery sales.
|Typical capacity||540 mAh||250 – 1200 mAh ||1200 mAh||300 – 500 mAh||600 – 1250 mAh|
|Nominal voltage||1.50 V||1.50 V||1.50 V||1.25 V||1.25 V|
Other common names 
- U16 (In Britain until the 1980s)
- Type 286 (Soviet Union/Russia)
- UM 4 (JIS)
- #7 (China)
- 6135-99-117-3143 (NSN)
See also 
- Life Cycle Impacts of Alkaline Batteries with a Focus on End-of-Life - EPBA-EU
-  INOBAT 2008 statistics.
- Monthly battery sales statistics - MoETI - March 2011
- Heinz Albert Kiehne, Battery technology handbook,CRC Press, 2003 ISBN 0-8247-4249-4, page 374
- Defence Standards: 61 Series - Electrical Wire and Power
- Brand Neutral Drawing Of Alkaline AAA Battery based on ANSI specifications
- Brand Neutral Drawing Of NiCAD AAA Battery based on ANSI Specifications
- Brand Neutral Drawing Of NiMH AAA Battery based on ANSI Specifications
- Brand Neutral Drawing Of Rechargeable AAA Battery based on ANSI Specifications