|Founded||1989 in Moscow, Russian Federation|
|Key people||Chairman: David Yang,
CEO: Sergey Andreev
|Products||FineReader, FineReader Engine, PDF Transformer, FlexiCapture, FlexiCapture Engine, Recognition Server, Lingvo Dictionary, Business Card Reader, Mobile OCR Engine, Mobile Imaging SDK, FineScanner, Scan Station, TextGrabber+Translator|
|Employees||over 1250 regular and 900 freelance (as of 2013)|
ABBYY was founded in 1989 by David Yang and was named BIT Software before 1997. ABBYY Group headquarters are located in Moscow with representative offices in Germany (Munich), the UK (Theale), the USA (Milpitas, CA), Japan (Tokyo), Taiwan (Taipei), Russia (Moscow), Ukraine (Kiev), Canada (Ontario), Australia (Sydney), and Cyprus. In 2007, a branch specializing in publishing dictionaries, reference books, encyclopedias and guide-books, ABBYY Press, was established. ABBYY also owns ABBYY Language Services, a high-tech translation and localization agency.
ABBYY's software understands text-characters in images. The FineReader converts scanned images into editable file formats and has received a four-out-of-five rating by PC Magazine. FlexiCapture is data and document capture software that converts documents into electronic form. The ABBYY Recognition Server is an Optical character recognition server and document capture software. ABBYY also develops a PDF conversion kit, a software development kit, dictionary and translation software and other programs.
As of 2011 and 2012 ABBYY is working on a usable version of its new machine translation and text semantic analysis system named ABBYY Compreno. At the beginning of 2011 ABBYY received a grant of 475 million Russian roubles (about $15 million USD) from Skolkovo innovation center for the development of its Compreno technology. The technology is supposedly based on USH (Universal Semantic Hierarchy). Syntactic Parsing Technology is used to complement the USH. The approach will allow for both the in-depth syntax analysis of the source text and the differentiation of subtle details of meaning based on world- and subject-knowledge. It is prospected to be used for intellectual information search based on abstractly defined content and expressed ideas / involved subjects (regardless of specific terminology and vocabulary used), as opposed to currently widely used keyword searching.
A large number of specialists to further develop the worldwide use of Compreno technology is expected to be trained via the two newly opened chairs of Computational Linguistics, established in May 2012 with support from ABBYY and IBM, at the Institute of Linguistics of the Russian State University for the Humanities and at the faculty of Innovations and High-Tech of the Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology
ABBYY Business Card Reader
ABBYY Business Card Reader is a mobile software application that imports contact information from business cards directly to mobile address books using a smartphone's camera and text recognition technology. First released in 2009, the application is now available for Symbian, Apple iPhone in January 2010, and Android. It uses ABBYY's optical character recognition (OCR) technology for mobile devices, which was introduced to the market with ABBYY Mobile OCR Engine.
Currently, the application supports 20 languages, including popular European languages and Korean, and reads both monolingual and multilingual business cards. The software has received positive reviews in Russian PC Magazine and Macworld Australia.
Also in 2005, PC Pro gave FineReader four stars out of six, saying, "FineReader offers a decent compromise between the value and accuracy of Readiris and the power and automation features of OmniPage. If you need automation on a budget, it's the package to go for, but for home and occasional office use Readiris is the better package at this price."
In March 2011 ABBYY was selected for KMWorld 100 Companies That Matter in Knowledge Management Award (for the fifth year in a row). In May 2006 ABBYY USA was awarded the Fujitsu Quarterly Innovative Leadership Award.
- "ABBYY - Company Overview". Archived from the original on 15 December 2009. Retrieved 17 December 2009.
- "ABBYY FineReader". Retrieved 22 August 2013.
- "ABBYY Lingvo". Retrieved 22 August 2013.
- ""Mixergy interview: How A Bulletin Board Post Changed Everything – with David Yang". Retrieved 22 August 2013.
- "ABBYY - Key Facts". Retrieved 17 October 2011.
- "ABBYY Press Publishing (in Russian)". Retrieved 17 December 2009.
- "ABBYY Language Services". Retrieved 17 December 2009.
- Mendelson, Edward (May 2008). "ABBYY FineReader Professional 9.0". PC Magazine. Retrieved 16 December 2009.
- Mendelson, Edward (November 2009). "ABBYY Finereader 10 Professional Edition". PC Magazine. Retrieved 16 December 2009.
- "KMWorld Trend-Setting Products of 2007".
- "KMWorld Trend-Setting Products of 2010".
- http://www.abbyy-developers.eu/en:tech:linguistic:start ABBYY Language Technologies
- http://syrcodis.ispras.ru/2012/invited-talks Anatoly Starostin. Using ABBYY Compreno technology for solving various NLP-tasks. SYRCoDIS 2012. Moscow.
- http://www.dialog-21.ru/digests/dialog2012/materials/pdf/Anisimovich.pdf Syntactic and semantic parser based on ABBYY Compreno
- http://www.euralex.org/elx_proceedings/Euralex2012/pp456-461%20Selegey.pdf On automated semantic and syntactic annotation of texts for lexicographic purposes
- Голубятня: Чудо Compreno
- Abbyy получила 450 млн рублей от «Сколково»
- http://www.abbyy.ru/science/technologies/business/compreno#Section_2; Синтаксический и семантический анализ текстов
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPlV9mzqeFQ Introducing ABBYY Compreno -- new approach to machine translation
- Лингвистические технологии ABBYY. От сложного — к совершенному
- Программисты считают, что научили машину понимать смысл текста
- Компьютерная лингвистика получит пополнение
- В РГГУ и МФТИ открыты кафедры «Компьютерной лингвистики» при поддержке Abbyy и IBM
- ABBYY: через мобильность и облака к интеллектуальной лингвистике
- "ABBYY Business Card Reader / the official Web site". 2011.
- "Best Soft 2009. PC Magazine (Russian) = 2013-02-19".
- "Macworld Australia. App Guide = 2013-02-19".
- "ABBYY FineReader 8.0 Professional" PC Advisor, 3 November 2005.
- "Abbyy FineReader 8.0 Professional Edition", PC Magazine, 12 September 2005.
- "ABBYY FineReader 8 Professional Edition", PC Pro, December 2005.
- "ABBYY FineReader Engine Selected for Ricoh's Award-Winning DocumentMall"[dead link], 23 January 2007, MarketWire
- "KMWorld 100 Companies That Matter in Knowledge Management", KMWorld, 1 March 2009
- "Fujitsu Selects ABBYY USA for Quarterly Innovative Leadership Award", Fujitsu.com, 17 May 2006
- ABBYY (undated). "ABBYY - What Does It Mean?". Archived from the original on 28 April 2009. Retrieved 4 June 2009.