ABC News Now
|ABC News Now|
|Launched||July 26, 2004|
|Closed||October 28, 2013|
|Network||Disney-ABC Television Group|
|Owned by||The Walt Disney Company|
Live Well Network
ABC News Now was an American 24-hour news channel offered via digital television, broadband and streaming video at ABCNews.com and on mobile phones. It delivered breaking news, headline news each half hour, and wide range of entertainment and lifestyle programs. The channel was available in the USA and in Europe. This station's "Talk Back" feature allowed viewers to voice their own input through the submission of videos and personal thoughts on controversial issues and current topics. On October 28, 2013 ABC News Now was replaced with Fusion.
After having attempted a 20 minute online news program three time a week hosted by Sam Donaldson in the 1999, ABC News launched a forerunner of ABC News Now in March 2003. The service was fee based except for the customers of America Online, Comcast and a few other Internet providers. Later, mobile phone users could access the programming through Sprint's MobiTV.
It first appeared on July 26, 2004citation needed] for a trial test, with extended coverage of the Democratic National Convention and Republican National Convention. 70 ABC affiliated and owned & operated stations where the original slate of affiliates. Also, service was available for purchase through ABCNews.com and RealNetworks Inc.,[
On November 5, 2007Germany, Spain and Belgium in 2008 on IPTV service Zattoo with more territories including the UK planned for the next 6 months, this marked the second international channel launched under ABC branding, the first being the UK general entertainment channel ABC1 which closed on September 26, 2007.Disney-ABC International Television announced plans to launch the channel in international territories including
- Tech This Out! -- Technology news and a consumer guide to the latest gadgets, hosted by Daniel Sieberg.
- Good Morning America Health -- GMA Health is a third hour of Good Morning America and also is themed toward health news and other health-related topics, airing 2pm/ET. Its predecessor was Good Morning America Now which was canceled due to lack of viewers. Its final broadcast was October 2008.
- Inside the Newsroom -- 2x times daily, bringing you live reports from the hottest spots in the world.
- Money Matters -- Financial and economic news and tips right after the NYSE opening bell.
- Good Money -- Personal finance information for everyday consumers and small business owners.
- The Daily Download -- The day's most interesting feature stories, viral videos and stories from off the beaten path.
- Popcorn with Peter Travers -- An interview-based movie show, with today's biggest stars talking to Rolling Stone movie reviewer Peter Travers.
- Amplified -- Indie music and interviews, brought to you by ABC News anchor Dan Harris.
- TopLine -- Inside the political arena with Rick Klein.
- What's the Buzz -- The latest in celebrity entertainment news.
- World Piece — featured one international news story
- World View -- Round-up of headlines from around the world.
- Now You Know -- Living Advice and News Briefs along with Weather, Now You Know was ABC News Now's morning program.
- Chef's Table
During international breaking news, there had been simulcasts of BBC World News.
The channel was also available on the Sprint TV app.
The channel was formerly available via satellite, free to air, on Galaxy 28 at 89W, transponder 613 at 11955 MHz, vertical polarization.
The channel was carried by Verizon FIOS TV, Charter Communications, RCN and a number of other cable TV providers in the USA.
ABC News Now was formerly available as a digital subchannel for many ABC affiliates during the 2004 Presidential election season. Most stations have replaced it with the ABC-distributed Live Well Network or other channels.
- "ABC News banks on digital, despite small audiences today". USA Today. AP. September 4, 2004. Retrieved May 29, 2014.
- Welsh, James (November 5, 2007). "ABC News Now to launch in the UK". Digital Spy. Retrieved January 16, 2013.
- "Fusion replacing ABC News Now". Blue Ridge News. November 1, 2013. Retrieved May 29, 2014.