ABS-CBN Sports and Action
|Type||Sports & action channel|
|Branding||ABS-CBN Sports+Action on Channel 23|
|Headquarters||3rd Flr., ABS-CBN Broadcast Center, Mother Ignacia St., corner Sgt. Esguerra Ave., Barangay South Triangle, Diliman, Quezon City|
|January 18, 2014|
|Studio 23 (1996–2014)|
ABS-CBN Sports and Action Channel 23, stylized as ABS-CBN Sports+Action, is a Filipino free-to-air sports and action channel. It is managed by ABS-CBN Sports, ABS-CBN Corporation's sports content division. The channel occupied the former channel space of Studio 23, a young adult-oriented network ceasing operations on January 16, 2014. It began its operations on January 18, 2014. It broadcasts Monday to Friday from 5:30 AM to 12:45 AM, and Saturday to Sunday from 5:00 AM to 12:00 AM. (except for special broadcasts from 3:30 am to 12:00 MN.)
According to ABS-CBN Narrowcast Head March Ventosa, the division started developing the concept of a sports channel of free television for a year. Also with its launching, the management decided to drop the strong Studio 23 branding for it is well associated with entertainment programs of which the former channel only carries 30 percent of sports related content.
The channel was officially launched in Glorietta 3, Ayala Center, Makati on January 16, 2014. The event was attended by several well known Filipino athletes including Marlon Stockinger, Donnie Nietes, the Azkals team, Jeron Teng, and some ABS-CBN executives and personalities. The event also provided a glimpse of its program lineup which includes sports coverage of UAAP, Top Rank and Pinoy Pride boxing bouts, and the Azkal's football matches.
A test broadcast was done a day prior to its official launching on January 18, 2014.
The network's newest station ID featuring the dedication and spirit of the Filipino athletes was launched during It's Showtime last May 24, 2014. "Ito ang Ating Sandali", composed and performed by former Rivermaya vocalist Rico Blanco was used for the station identification.
According to Sports Interactive Network Philippines, 70 percent of its contents will be about sports, with the remaining of it covering Filipino action films, English television series, programs dedicated for the children, newscasts, and other entertainment, informative & religious programs such as blocktimers.
|ABS-CBN Sports and Action||Play Hard||January 18, 2014 – present||ABS-CBN Sports and Action's official slogan|
- Balls (ABS-CBN's cable sports channel)
- ABS-CBN (ABS-CBN Sports and Action's sister channel)
- ABS-CBN Sports (the channel's parent division and sports content producer)
- Further information: ABS-CBN Sports+Action Stations
- Dyan Castillejo (January 17, 2014). "Mga dapat abangan sa bagong sports channel ng ABS-CBN". TV Patrol (in Filipino). ABS-CBN News. Retrieved January 18, 2014.
- Reuben Terrado (January 14, 2014). "Studio 23 to become an all-sports channel on free TV after reformatting". Sports Interactive Network Philippines. Retrieved January 16, 2014.
- Eunice Blanco (January 17, 2014). "ABS-CBN turns Studio 23 into sports channel, launches ‘Sports & Action’". The Philippine Star. Retrieved January 17, 2014.
- Dennis Gasgonia (January 16, 2014). "ABS-CBN launches new sports channel". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved January 16, 2014.
- Rowena Tan (January 17, 2014). "ABS-CBN launches Sports+Action". Manila Bulletin. Archived from the original on January 17, 2014. Retrieved January 17, 2014.
- "ABS-CBN Sports+Action, All New Sports Destination For Kapamilya Sports Fans". ABS-CBN Corporation. January 18, 2014. Retrieved January 18, 2014.
- Arniel C. Serato (January 17, 2014). "Studio 23 goes off the air; ABS-CBN launches new sports channel". Philippine Entertainment Portal. pp. 1–2. Retrieved January 17, 2014.
- Kane Errol Chua (February 2, 2014). "A new home for sports & action programs". The Philippine Star. Retrieved February 2, 2014.
- "ABS-CBN Sports+ Action SID "Ito ang Ating Sandali"". ABS-CBN. YouTube. May 24, 2014. Retrieved May 28, 2014.
- Reuben Terrado (January 16, 2014). "After launch of sports channel, ABS-CBN official says PBA games an 'enticing content'". Sports Interactive Network Philippines. Retrieved January 16, 2014.
- Reuben Terrado (January 17, 2014). "ABS-CBN sports channel committed to live airing of top events, says officials". Sports Interactive Network Philippines. Retrieved January 18, 2014.
- ABS-CBN Sports and Action on Facebook
- ABS-CBN Sports and Action's channel on YouTube
- ABS-CBN Sports and Action on Twitter