|Brand of ABS-CBN Convergence|
|Founded||November 16, 2013|
|Headquarters||ABS-CBN Broadcasting Centre, Sgt. Esguerra Ave. corner Mother Ignacia St., Barangay South Triangle, Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines|
|Carlo Katigbak (President)|
ABS-CBNmobile (stylized as ABS-CBNmobile) is the mobile telephone brand of ABS-CBN Convergence, a telecommunications arm of ABS-CBN Corporation, operating as a mobile virtual network operator through the network infrastructure of Globe Telecom. Its services includes SMS, voice, and mobile internet along with the exclusive access to ABS-CBN contents through the IWanTV! app. It was launched on November 16, 2013 at the Smart Araneta Coliseum, with the initial 100,000 sim cards given for free to the survivors of Typhoon Haiyan that hit the country. As of January 2015, ABS-CBNmobile has 1,700,000 subscribers
On May 28, 2013, ABS-CBN Convergence signed a P3-billion network-sharing agreement with Globe Telecom to create a new cellular telephony brand ABS-CBNmobile, expected to begin by the end of 2013.ABS-CBN would be buying capacity from Globe in which the amount the media firm pays the telco would depend on how much bandwidth is used."This is the natural evolution of the (media) industry. It’s what we think our consumers want...", Lopez stated in the press release.He said the partnership with Globe, which is the first of its kind in the Philippines would give ABS-CBN an important foothold in the mobile media sector. He said this would be important once digital TV services are launched by local media networks. Users with digital TV-enabled devices will be able to receive free TV signals on their smartphones or tablets that uses ABS-CBNmobile services.
ABS-CBNmobile aim to create its own prepaid and postpaid voice, SMS, and mobile broadband services while sharing servers, towers, and switches with Globe. Parent company, ABS-CBN Corporation injects a ₱2-3 billion budget to subsidiary ABS-C to build and expand the telco service for the next 2 years. On June 8, 2013, the National Telecommunications Commission approved the deal. NTC deputy commissioner Edgardo Cabarios said in an interview with the Philippine Star that the regulator has approved the network sharing agreement as well as the co-use of number blocks between Globe’s Innove Communications Inc. and ABS-CBN Convergence Inc. (ABS-CBN C).
The commissioner stated:
|“||...The commission acknowledges the network sharing agreement entered into by your company, Globe and ABS-CBN Convergence subject to the condition that the quality of service and service performance shall not be adversely affected and the prescribed quality of service and service performance standards are strictly observed and complied[...]The commission’s thrust of promoting sharing of passive and active network infrastructure to reduce cost of public telecommunications services and reduce the effects of radio base stations to the environment...||”|
The mobile service is supposed to be launched on early September but it was postponed due to operational issues.ABS-CBN chief financial officer Aldrin Cerrado said the partnership is making sure that the new telecom provider would be able to deliver service to subscribers nationwide.According to him, the partnership is finalizing deal with the suppliers of SIM cards and claimed, "...We are just making sure that all our support system is ready to support the subscribers,".On November 16, 2013 during the "Tulong Na, Tabang Na, Tayo Na" benefit concert for the Typhoon Haiyan victims at the Smart Araneta Coliseum, the telco was officially announced in the public.Actor Piolo Pascual stated that the first 100,000 sim cards were sent to the survivors of the said typhoon in the Visayas region for free to help restore communications among members of the family. On November 18, 2013, the television advertisement featuring Kim Chiu, Piolo Pascual, Enrique Gil and John Lloyd Cruz was officially previewed.
Product and services
Carlo Katigbak, ABS-CBN Convergence President and Managing Director remarked that iWanTV.com, ABS-CBN’s free video streaming website, is now one of the most viewed sites in the Philippines and that nearly half of the users who visit it are using mobile devices to access it.This lend them the idea to merge the exclusive iWanTV content to ABS-CBNmobile subscribers where they can watch ABS-CBN programs right on their mobile phones and devices.
According to ABS-CBNmobile marketing head Nandy Villar,
People who, for instance, missed their favorite programs or who are in transit or have different work hours will be able to watch them on their preferred mobile devices through iWantTV Mobile...Fans will have access to exclusive photos about what the stars are doing for the day so that fans can easily keep track. And a lot of these aren't available elsewhere.
The first ABS-CBNmobile store has officially opened on December 11, 2013 at the ground floor of ELJ Building inside the ABS-CBN compound in Quezon City which was headed by ABS-CBN Chairman Eugenio "Gabby" Lopez III and President/Chief Executive Officer Charo Santos-Concio.According to Lopez, "Today, we are fulfilling a mission to be of service to the Filipino people,". The launch of the store was also attended by some of its celebrity endorsers, Julia Montes and Erich Gonzales.
- "Broadcast network ABS-CBN forays into telecom via Globe". GMA News. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
- "ABS-CBN mobile phone service to arrive by year-end". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
- Gomez, Lailani (21 October 2013). "ABS-CBN delays launch of mobile business to fix support system". Manila Standard Today. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
- Montecillo, Paulo (28 May 2013). "ABS-CBN forays into telco business". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
- Benavidez, Kathleen. "ABS-CBN ventures into telecommunications through network-sharing agreement with Globe". PEP.ph. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
- Guererro, Alora. "Smart, Globe... and now, ABS-CBN Mobile?". Yahoo! Philippines. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
- Agcaoli, Laurence (8 June 2013). "NTC okays Globe-ABS-CBN network sharing agreement". Philippine Star. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
- Amolejar, Darwin. "ABS-CBN unlikely to launch mobile phone service this year". InterAksyon. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
- Agcaoili, Lawrence (21 October 2013). "Operational issues delay launch of ABS-CBN mobile". Philippine Star. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
- "Biz Buzz: Oops … ABS-CBN telco goes live". Philippine Daily Inquirer. 20 November 2013. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- "ABS-CBN Mobile sim card, load unveiled in TV ad video". CoolBuster. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
- Castro, Racine Anne. "ABS-CBN announces network-sharing partnership with Globe". Gadgets Magazine. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
- "Lopez, Ayala groups launch '3rd telco' player". Rappler. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
- "ABS-CBNmobile opens first store". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- Mano, Robert. "Kauna-unahang ABS-CBN mobile store, binuksan". DZMM TeleRadyo. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- Borja, Feliz. ""Anong Kwento Ng Mobile Mo?" ABS-CBN Mobile Inilunsad Na!". MYX Philippines. Retrieved 12 December 2013.