Number of employees
|around 3000 worldwide|
The company ABUS, or August Bremicker Söhne KG, based in Wetter-Volmarstein, is a German manufacturer of preventative security technology. The name is an acronym formed from the original company name August Bremicker und Söhne.
The company was founded in 1924. Initially, it was limited to the manufacture of padlocks. The company is still family-owned and is managed according to Christian corporate principles. Over the years, the range of products has increased considerably: today, alongside locks, ABUS produces a variety of products including smoke alarms, video surveillance systems, bike and boat security products, alarm systems and locking systems.
ABUS operates the final two product segments via its subsidiary companies:
- Security-Center (alarm and video surveillance systems), founded in June 1999 and bought by ABUS in June 2001.
- Schließanlagen GmbH Pfaffenhain (locking systems), bought in January 2003.
- SECCOR high security GmbH (electronic locking systems and switching devices) was bought in September 2010.
In October 2003 the product area of escutcheon plates was taken over from the door hinge manufacturer Dr. Hahn in Mönchengladbach. Due to the close relationships with the parent company ABUS, the names of the subsidiaries were changed to ABUS Security-Center GmbH & Co. KG (based in Affing), ABUS Pfaffenhain GmbH (based in Pfaffenhain) and ABUS Seccor GmbH (based in Ottobrunn).
In addition to several production facilities in Germany, the ABUS Group operates around 20 foreign branches in Europe, the USA and China. In the area of padlocks and bike locks, ABUS is the world market leader.  In November 2012 ABUS received the “Brand of the Century” award in the security technology category.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to ABUS.|
- Florian Langenscheidt, Bernd Venohr (Hrsg.): Lexikon der deutschen Weltmarktführer. Die Königsklasse deutscher Unternehmen in Wort und Bild. Deutsche Standards Editionen, Köln 2010, ISBN 978-3-86936-221-2.
- Abus mit dem deutschen Markenpreis ausgezeichnet Recalled on January 21, 2013.
|This German corporation or company article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to a manufacturing company is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|