|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (September 2011)|
SIGMETRICS is the Association for Computing Machinery's Special Interest Group on Measurement and Evaluation, which specializes in the field of performance analysis, measurement, and modeling of computer systems. It is also the name of an annual 'flagship' conference, organized by SIGMETRICS since 1973, which is considered to be the leading conference in performance analysis and modeling in the world. Known to have an extremely low acceptance rate (~15%), many of the landmark works in the area have been published through it.
Beyond the flagship conference, SIGMETRICS also promotes research into performance analysis, measurement, and modeling through a number of other activities. It sponsors two other prestigious conferences: the Internet Measurement Conference (IMC) and the Performance conference (which is held jointly with the SIGMETRICS conference every third year). Additionally, SIGMETRICS produces a magazine, Performance Evaluation Review, with both peer-reviewed and editorial content.
SIGMETRICS always has three awards that it gives out annually:
- The SIGMETRICS Achievement Award, which recognizes a senior researcher who has made long-lasting influential contributions to computer/communication performance evaluation.
- The SIGMETRICS Rising Star Award, which recognizes a junior researcher who demonstrates outstanding potential for research in computer/communication performance evaluation.
- The SIGMETRICS Test of Time Award, which recognizes an influential SIGMETRICS paper from 10-12 years previously.
The group was formed as SIGME (Special Interest Committee on Measurement and Evaluation) in 1971, the name was changed to SIGMETRICS in 1972.
Each year the group gives three awards, the lifetime achievement award, rising star award and test of time award.
The achievement award is given each year to an individual who has made "long-lasting, influential contributions to the theory or practice of computer/communication system performance evaluation."
- 2003 Edward G. Coffman, Jr.
- 2004 Ken C. Sevcik
- 2005 Stephen S. Lavenberg
- 2006 Richard R. Muntz
- 2007 Don Towsley
- 2008 Erol Gelenbe
- 2009 Frank Kelly
- 2010 Jeffrey P. Buzen
- 2011 Onno J. Boxma
- 2012 Debasis Mitra
- 2013 Jean Walrand
- 2014 François Baccelli
Rising star award
The rising star award is given each year to an individual who "demonstrates outstanding potential for research in the field of computer and communication performance."
- 2008 Devavrat Shah
- 2009 Alexandre Proutiere
- 2010 Milan Vojnovic
- 2011 Adam Wierman
- 2012 Marc Lelarge
- 2013 Augustin Chaintreau
- 2014 Florian Simatos
Test of time award
The test of time award is given annually to the authors of papers whose "impact is still felt 10-12 years after its initial publication."
- Buzen, Jeffrey P.. "Fundamental Laws of Computer System Performance". SIGMETRICS 1976. doi:10.1145/800200.806196.
- Eager, Derek; Lazowska, Ed; Zahorjan, John. "A Comparison of Receiver-initiated and Sender-initiated Adaptive Load Sharing". SIGMETRICS 1985. doi:10.1145/317795.317802.
- Crovella, Mark E.; Bestavros, Azer. "Self-similarity in World Wide Web Traffic: Evidence and Possible Causes". SIGMETRICS 1996. doi:10.1145/233013.233038.
- Chu, Yang-hua; Rao, Sanjay; Zhang, Hui. "A Case for End System Multicast". SIGMETRICS 2000. doi:10.1145/339331.339337.
- Gao, Lixin; Rexford, Jennifer. "Stable Internet Routing without Global Coordination". SIGMETRICS 2000. doi:10.1145/339331.339426.
- Bu, T.; Duffield, N.; Presti, F. L.; Towsley, D. "Network tomography on general topologies". SIGMETRICS 2002. doi:10.1145/511334.511338.
- Zhang, Y.; Roughan, M.; Duffield, N.; Greenberg, A. "Fast Accurate Computation of Large-Scale IP Traffic Matrices from Link Loads". SIGMETRICS 2003. doi:10.1145/885651.781053.
- "SIGMETRICS History Stories". SIGMETRICS. Retrieved 2011-08-02.
- "SIGMETRICS Awards". SIGMETRICS. Retrieved 2011-09-05.
- SIGMETRICS Conference (2012). "SIGMETRICS 2012 Program". Retrieved 26 April 2012.
- "Conviva Co-Founder Zhang Lands ‘Test of Time’ Award from Global Technology Research Body". Business Wire. 2011-06-17.
|This article about a computer conference is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|