Symposium on Principles of Distributed Computing
|Symposium on Principles of Distributed Computing|
The Symposium on Principles of Distributed Computing (PODC) is an academic conference in the field of distributed computing organised annually by the Association for Computing Machinery (special interest groups SIGACT and SIGOPS).
Work presented at PODC typically studies theoretical aspects of distributed computing, such as the design and analysis of distributed algorithms. The scope of PODC is similar to the scope of International Symposium on Distributed Computing (DISC), with the main difference being geographical: DISC is usually organised in European locations, while PODC has been traditionally held in North America. The Edsger W. Dijkstra Prize in Distributed Computing is presented alternately at PODC and at DISC.
Other closely related conferences include ACM Symposium on Parallelism in Algorithms and Architectures (SPAA), which – as the name suggests – puts more emphasis on parallel algorithms than distributed algorithms. PODC and SPAA have been co-located in 1998, 2005, and 2009.
Reputation and selectivity
PODC is often mentioned to be one of the top conferences in the field of distributed computing. In the 2007 Australian Ranking of ICT Conferences, PODC was the only conference in the field that received the highest ranking, "A+".
During the recent years 2004–2009, the number of regular papers submitted to PODC has fluctuated between 110 and 224 each year. Of these submissions, 27–40 papers have been accepted for presentation at the conference each year; acceptance rates for regular papers have been between 16% and 31%.
Between 1982 and 2009, PODC was always held in a North American location – usually in USA or Canada, and once in Mexico. In 2010, PODC was held in Europe for the first time in its history, and in the same year, its European sister conference DISC was organised in the USA for the first time in its history. PODC 2010 took place in Zürich, Switzerland, and DISC 2010 took place in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
Since 2000, a review of the PODC conference appears in the year-ending issue of the ACM SIGACT News Distributed Computing Column. The review is usually written a member of the distributed computing research community.
||This section contains embedded lists that may be poorly defined, unverified or indiscriminate. (April 2010)|
- The list of distributed computing conferences contains other academic conferences in distributed computing.
- The list of computer science conferences contains other academic conferences in computer science.
- PODC web site.
- In Roger Wattenhofer's PODC 2007 Statistics, DISC is the number 1 conference on the list of other conferences where PODC authors publish their work.
- DISC in DBLP.
- PODC in DBLP.
- EATCS web site: Awards: Dijkstra Prize.
- PODC web site: Edsger W. Dijkstra Prize in Distributed Computing.
- DISC web site: Edsger W. Dijkstra Prize in Distributed Computing.
- Nancy Ann Lynch: Distributed Algorithms, Morgan Kaufmann, 1996, ISBN 978-1-55860-348-6. Section 1.4, "Bibliographic notes", mentions the following conferences in this order: PODC, FOCS, STOC, SPAA, WDAG.
- Gerard Tel: Introduction to Distributed Algorithms, 2nd ed., Cambridge University Press, 2000, ISBN 978-0-521-79483-1. Sect. 1.3.3, "Research field", mentions the following conferences in this order: PODC, WDAG/DISC, STOC, FOCS.
- Chryssis Georgiou, Alexander A. Shvartsman: Do-All Computing in Distributed Systems: Cooperation in the Presence of Adversity, Springer, 2007, ISBN 978-0-387-30918-7. Section "Bibliographic notes" in "Preface" mentions the following conferences in this order: PODC, SPAA, STOC, SODA, FOCS, ICDCS, DISC, OPODIS, SIROCCO.
- 2007 Australian Ranking of ICT Conferences.
- Forewords of PODC proceedings, 2004–2009.
- PODC: Papers Acceptance Statistics.
- Robert L. Probert, Michael J. Fischer, and Nicola Santoro, editors: Proceedings of the First ACM SIGACT-SIGOPS Symposium on Principles of Distributed Computing, 1982, ACM Press. ISBN 0-89791-081-8. 
- PODC in ACM Digital Library.
- DISC'2010 Preliminary Call for Papers.
- ACM SIGACT News Distributed Computing Column.