|Industry||Environmental consultancy and services|
|Headquarters||Wolverhampton, Wolverhampton, UK|
|Key people||Colin Speller|
ADAS is the UK’s largest independent agricultural and environmental consultancy and provider of rural development and policy advice. ADAS exists to provide ideas, specialist knowledge and solutions to secure our food and enhance the environment. ADAS provides independent science-based research, consultancy and contracting services to a wide range of organisations in both the private and public sectors, throughout the UK and internationally.
The organisation was established in 1946 as the advisory and research arm of the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food (MAFF) and branded as ADAS in 1971. In 1992, ADAS became an Executive Agency of MAFF until the business was privatised in 1997. To this day ADAS remains a preferred supplier to Governments and a wide range of enterprises in the public and private sectors, throughout the UK. ADAS also carries out a significant amount of work for overseas clients.
ADAS is a national company with local knowledge, operating from its headquarters in Wolverhampton and a further 15 principal sites throughout the UK. The business employs 400 staff on permanent or fixed-term contracts and calls on a further 250 on contingent terms.
Gross turnover is c. £31 million per annum.
ADAS has more than 20,000 customers in the UK and abroad ranging from small rural enterprises to major corporations, government departments and agencies, including:
- National Government Departments and Agencies
- Utility companies, forestry, countryside and environmental organisations
- Rail, road and house builders, industrial companies and commercial developers
- Food processing, retailing, manufacturing and packaging industries
- Farmers and growers, levy bodies and the agricultural and horticultural supply industries
The ADAS Group has three major brands – ADAS, enVar and REsolved Renewables. These businesses cover the following areas:
- Soils, Crops & Water: Provision of applied research and knowledge transfer, focusing on the development of sustainable and profitable crop production systems including implementation of pest, disease and weed management strategies, improving arable and horticultural crop performance, development of biomass and biofuel crops and use of natural plant products in new markets. Protection and management of soils. Water use and quality. Investigation and evidence collection.
- Sustainable Food and Farming: Provision of applied research, strategic and policy consultancy to government, levy and corporate clients to help them develop their businesses and strategy. Delivery of applied research; interpretation of evidence and advice on its impact and implications. Livestock and crops.
- Animal Health: Contract Research Organisation focusing on the development of animal health products, operating to Home Office standards and GLP; facilities management of a high-health sheep unit; molecular biological research.
- On-farm Implementation: Provision of on-farm implementation of advice and programmes for government and other regional clients.
- Environment: Provision of consultancy and research focusing on ecology, land management, soils, archaeology, landscape, air quality, arboriculture, wayleaves, renewable energy and EIA / planning underpinned by expertise in data capture, GIS, modelling and software development.
- Chemicals in the Environment (CIE): Specialists in regulatory environmental risk assessments for chemicals, providing strategic support for product registrations across Europe. In addition to desk-based support, CIE offer bespoke higher tier aquatic (mesocosms and laboratory studies) and terrestrial ecotoxicological field and environmental fate studies according to GLP. Some CIE services are marketed and delivered within the separate brand Cambridge Environmental Assessments.
enVar operates the largest in-vessel composting facility in the UK at St Ives, Cambridgeshire, where it processes kerbside-collected, co-mingled food and garden waste.
An ADAS company that has been specifically set up to help landowners make the most of the renewable energy opportunities on their land, with a range of wind and solar PV solutions to suit their individual situation.