|Headquarters||Montigny-le-Bretonneux, Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines, France|
AFNIC (Association Française pour le Nommage Internet en Coopération) is a non-profit corporation that was created in December 1997 in order to operate a number of French country code top-level domain names such as .fr, .re and .tf. As of today, AFNIC is ruled under the 2007 February 6 decree. AFNIC is currently headquartered on the seventh floor of Hall A2, a part of the Immeuble International building in the commune of Montigny-le-Bretonneux in Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines, France.
AFNIC includes public and private Internet players: users (legal entities and individuals), domain name registrars (Internet service providers), international entities and public authoritative representatives.
AFNIC manages a general interest service. Therefore it is at the crossroads of operators, Internet Service Providers, Internet users, public authorities as well as other national and international parties.
This privileged position and responsibility leads AFNIC to participate in the evolution of Internet governance and management. Thus, AFNIC is largely involved in the international relations chorus.
Through its missions, the international actions of AFNIC are focused on three main directions:
- To contribute and participate to the global Internet governance and management (WSIS, ICANN, CENTR...);
- To introduce new standards and services (IETF, RIPE NCC);
- To transfer its knowledge and know-how (International College).
Over the past few years, the number of international meetings in which the domain name registries are involved is constantly increasing. This strong international activity demonstrates that domain name registries have a key role to play in the information society globalisation process.
- "The 2007 February 6th decree describing the missions of AFNIC". Legifrance. February 6, 2007.
- "AFNIC - Plan d'accès Access map." AFNIC. Retrieved on 19 September 2010.
- "Contact us." AFNIC. Retrieved on 19 September 2010.
- "Visit us." AFNIC. Retrieved on 19 September 2010.
News and financial reports
- AFNIC publishes its French Domain Name Industry Report
- AFNIC launches DNSwitness, a multi-purpose software for DNS measurements
- Publication of the synthesis of the public consultation on French Top Level Domains
- AFNIC publishes its first decisions in regards to its specific dispute resolution procedure for obvious breaches of the stipulations of the decree of February 6th, 2007