AFP General Headquarters and Headquarters Service Command
|AFP General Headquarters and Headquarters Service Command
Comando del Guarnicion General y Servicios del Cuartel General de las Fuerzas Armadas del Filipinas
Command Seal of the AFP General Headquarters & Headquarters Service Command
|Active||1 July 1957 - Present|
|Allegiance||Republic of the Philippines|
|Branch||Joint Service Branch|
|Type||Headquarters Support Unit|
|Role||Combat Support, Headquarters Support|
|Size||1,000+ Military Personnel|
|Part of||Under the Armed Forces of the Philippines|
|Garrison/HQ||Camp Gen Emilio Aguinaldo, Quezon City|
|Nickname||GHQ, Headquarters Command|
Philippine Republic Presidential Unit Citation Badge
|BGen Arthur Ang AFP|
|Command Sergeant Major||CMS Godofredo Mayor (Inf) PA|
The General Headquarters and Headquarters Service Command, informally called GHQ-AFP, is one of the Armed Forces of the Philippines' support units tasked in base management of Camp Aguinaldo and provides headquarters support services to subordinate units of the AFP.
The AFP GHQ & HSC was born out of the General Services Battalion of the Philippine Constabulary that was originally stationed at the Old Constabulary Barracks in Tondo, Manila. It then moved to its new home at Camp Murphy on 11 January 1935. Major Mariano N Castañeda PC was designated as its commanding officer.
Towards the end of World War II in 1946, the unit was redesignated and renamed as Headquarters and Service Battalion. The unit was then tasked with Camp Administration and Security.
By 15 October 1948, the Chief of Staff of the Armed Forces of the Philippines ordered the redesignation of the unit as Headquarters Service Group, GHQ, AFP tasked with the same work as it was previously doing.
With the unit-wide restruction of the AFP, post EDSA I, the unit was then upgraded to a provisional unit and renamed General Headquarters and Headquarters Service Command, AFP.
On 15 May 1987, the provisional status of the unit was lifted and the GHQ-HSC became the unofficial fourth branch of service of the Philippine Military, taking responsibility over Base Administration & Security, and command of the AFP Technical Service Units.
At present, the GHQ-HSC serves as the Camp Administrator of Camp Aguinaldo and provides communication services, command & control services, and security for the higher echelons of the Philippine Military.
- Headquarters & Headquarters Support Battalion
- General Headquarters Training Center
- General Headquarters Security & Escort Battalion
- General Headquarters Military Police Battalion
- Armed Forces of the Philippines Theater and Museum
- Pazzibugan, Dona (18 August 2010). "AFP announces 4th wave of officers’ reshuffle". Inquirer.net. Retrieved 29 May 2014.
- "P-Noy presides over oath-taking of newly promoted generals and flag officers". Office of the President of the Republic of the Philippines. 7 September 2010. Retrieved 29 May 2014.
- "General Headquarters: Armed Forces of the Philippines". Retrieved 29 May 2014.
- Pike, John. "Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP)". Retrieved 29 May 2014.
- Official Page of the Armed Forces of the Philippines
- Pobre, Cesar P. (2006). History of the Armed Forces of the Filipino People. New Day Publishers.ISBN 9711010410.