||This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2011)|
|Classification and external resources|
A lymphoma is a type of cancer arising from lymphoid cells. In AIDS, the incidences of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, primary cerebral lymphoma and Hodgkin's disease are all increased. There are three different varieties of AIDS-related lymphoma: Diffuse large B-cell lymphoma, B-cell immunoblastic lymphoma, and Burkitt's lymphoma (small non-cleaved cell lymphoma).
The symptoms of AIDS-related lymphoma can include: weight loss, fever, and night sweats.
Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma 
Primary cerebral lymphoma 
Primary cerebral lymphoma (or primary central nervous system lymphoma) is a form of NHL. It is very rare in immunocompetent people, with an incidence of 5–30 cases per million person-years. However the incidence in immunocompromised individuals is greatly increased, up to 100 per million person-years.
Treatment of AIDS patients with antiretroviral drugs reduces the incidence of primary cerebral lymphoma.
Hodgkin's disease 
The incidence of Hodgkin's disease in the general population is about 10–30 per million person-years. This increases to 170 per million person-years in HIV positive patients.
See also 
- Besson C, Goubar A, Gabarre J, et al. (October 2001). "Changes in AIDS-related lymphoma since the era of highly active antiretroviral therapy". Blood 98 (8): 2339–44. doi:10.1182/blood.V98.8.2339. PMID 11588028.
- Rigolet A, Bossi P, Caumes E, et al. (September 2001). "Caractéristiques épidémiologiques et évolution de l'incidence des lymphomes cérébraux primitifs observés chez 80 patients infectés par le VIH entre 1983 et 1999" [Epidemiological features and incidence trends of primary cerebral lymphomas observed in 80 HIV-infected patients from 1983 to 1999]. Pathologie-biologie (in French) 49 (7): 572–5. doi:10.1016/S0369-8114(01)00206-1. PMID 11642021.
- "AIDS-Related Lymphoma Treatment (PDQ®) - National Cancer Institute". Cancer.gov. 2012-05-18. Retrieved 2012-05-30.
- "Primary lymphoma of the brain: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia". Nlm.nih.gov. Retrieved 2012-05-30.
- Office of HIV and AIDS Malignancy in the National Cancer Institute
- Information on AIDS-related cancers from the National Cancer Institute