|Origin||Cape Town, South Africa|
|Associated acts||Die Heuwels Fantasties, Fokofpolisiekar|
Hennie van Halen
aKING is a melodic rock band from Bellville, South Africa. The band was formed in November 2007 by Fokofpolisiekar members Hunter Kennedy and Jaco 'Snakehead' Venter in collaboration with Laudo Liebenberg (vocals, guitar), and Hennie Van Halen (bass). Their first studio album, "Dutch Courage" debuted in 2008, followed by their second album, "Against All Odds" in early 2009. They have toured extensively throughout South Africa, playing at major festivals such as Oppikoppi Music Festival and Coke Zero Fest in 2009, where the band shared the stage with international acts Oasis, Snow Patrol and Panic! at the Disco. The band has been playlisted on major South African radio stations, including 5fm, Kfm and campus radio stations nationwide.
In 2009, aKING flew to Argentina to shoot the music video for their single, "You and I".
Towards the end of 2008, the band recorded three songs for a project entitled "In The Twilight", which they did in collaboration with Cape Town-based production company Ghetto Vibrations, Khayelitsha United Mambaso and the Thokozani Brothers.
In early 2010, Thieve vocalist/bassist and friend of the band, Andrew Davenport replaced Hunter Kennedy on guitar. The band released their third studio album "The Red Blooded Years" in March 2011.
aKING are currently in studio recording their follow up album to "The Red Blooded Years".
- Laudo Liebenberg - vocals, rhythm guitar (2007–present)
- Hennie van Halen - bass guitar (2007–present)
- Jaco "Snakehead" Venter - drums (2007–present)
- Andrew Davenport - guitar (2010–present)
- Hunter Kennedy - guitar (2007–2010)
- Dutch Courage (LP, 2008)
- In The Twilight (EP, 2009)
- Against All Odds (LP, 2009)
- The Red Blooded Years (LP, 2011)
- Morning After (LP, 2014)
- "We had a quickie with aKING frontman Laudo Liebenberg: Channel 24". Retrieved 2015-05-07.