|Traded as||NYSE: AHS|
|Founder(s)||Gayle Francis, Steven Francis|
|Headquarters||San Diego, California
150 offices in 42 countries
|Key people||Susan Salka (Director, CEO and President)
Douglas Wheat (Chairman)
|Products||Clinical Healthcare Staffing|
|Revenue||US$954M (FY 2012)|
|Operating income||US$53M (FY 2012)|
|Net income||US$17M (FY 2012)|
|Total assets||US$517M (FY 2012)|
|Total equity||US$182M (FY 2012)|
AMN Healthcare is a healthcare staffing company located in the United States. Clients include acute-care hospitals, government facilities, community health centers and clinics, physician practice groups and many other healthcare settings.
The company operates multiple brands/companies, all of which are under the umbrella of AMN Healthcare.
The company has a history of both growth and acquisition of various healthcare staffing brands.
- 1985, American Mobile Nurses is founded in Nevada by Gayle Francis, a nurse, and her husband Steven Francis.
- January 1991: American Mobile Nurses launched American Mobile Therapists.
- March 1994: American Mobile Nurses and American Mobile Therapists merged to become American Mobile Healthcare.
- November 1998: The Company acquired Medical Express, a national travel nurse staffing company based in Denver, Colorado.
- December 1998: All brands combine under the umbrella of AMN Healthcare.
- June 2000: AMN Healthcare acquired Nurses Rx, a national travel nurse staffing company based in Charlotte, North Carolina.
- November 2000: AMN Healthcare acquired Preferred Healthcare Staffing, a travel nurse staffing company based in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.
- May 2001: AMN Healthcare acquired O’Grady Peyton International, an international travel nurse sting company.
- June 2002: AMN Healthcare acquired RN.com, an American Nurses Credentialing Center accredited provider of continuing education (CE) courses for registered nurses.
- June 2005: AMN Healthcare launched a rapid-response nurse staffing division, NurseChoice.
- October 2005: AMN Healthcare acquired the Irving, Texas-based MHA Group, which includes Staff Care, the largest provider of locum tenens services, Merritt Hawkins & Associates, the largest nationwide provider of physician recruitment services, and Med TravelersSM, a provider of nurse and allied staffing.
- May 2007: AMN Healthcare acquired Rx Pro Health and Pharmacy Choice, an allied staffing firm specializing in temporary and permanent placement pharmacists.
- February 2008: AMN Healthcare acquires Platinum Select, a staffing firm for allied professionals.
- September 2010: AMN Healthcare acquires Medfinders and its brands.
- November 2013: AMN Healthcare acquires Portland (OR)-based ShiftWise.
In 2000, AMN announced an e-business partnership with Women First HealthCare, Inc. The alliance brings Women First's line of self-care products and women's online health information to AMN Healthcare's nationwide network of health care professionals.
AMN Healthcare provides physician recruitment services for both temporary and permanent placement to hospitals, medical groups and other healthcare providers in all 50 states. Staff Care, AMN’s temporary physician staffing service, provides temporary clinical staffing expertise to hospitals, physician-owned clinics, government facilities, dental offices and more, by staffing physicians, CRNAs, NPs, PAs, Dentists and other health care professionals in many high-demand specialties.
Merritt Hawkins & Associates, AMN’s temporarily physician consulting and placement service, provides inconstant placement of physicians to medical facilities throughout the United States of Mexico. Its broad specialty offerings include 4 specialist and sub-specialist opportunities. Merritt Hawkins & Associates conducts over 300 permanent physician search assignments each year and places approximately 10 doctors annually.
AMN Healthcare provides nurse staffing in per diem/local assignments in regions across the United States and in travel nursing assignments, ranging from four weeks to 16 weeks or more in length.
AMN Healthcare provides short-term and long-term allied health staffing professionals to acute-care hospitals, skilled nursing facilities, rehabilitation clinics and schools. AMN Healthcare operates several Allied Staffing companies/brands. Allied health staffing areas, include:
- Physical Therapists
- Occupational Therapists
- Respiratory Therapists
- Speech-language Pathologists
- Physical Therapist Assistants
- Certified Occupational Therapist Assistants
- Radiologic Technologists
- Nuclear Medicine Technologists
- Ultrasound Technologists
- Cardiovascular Technologists
- CT Technologists
- MRI Technologists
- Pharmacy Technicians
- Medical Technologists
- Medical Laboratory Technicians
Clinical Workforce Staffing Solutions
AMN Healthcare has an extensive clinical review process for its healthcare professionals that it places on assignments. The company provides doctors, nurses, allied professionals and pharmacists to hospitals, clinics and numerous other settings.
AMN Healthcare has the largest number of Managed Services engagements in hospitals across the United States. Managed Services automates the administrative and operational processes within a multi-vendor environment.
Recruitment Process Outsourcing (RPO): Recruitment Process Outsourcing (RPO) was designed for an outside agency to fill permanent placement staffing needs for a facility. A team from the staffing agency serves as a representative of the client facility during the hiring process for clinical staffing positions. AMN Healthcare provides Recruitment Process Outsourcing services at facilities in the United States.
Home Care and Home Health Staffing Services: Health Staffing Services provides home health clients with clinically trained nurses and therapists who work with patients at their residence.
Surgical Staffing Services: Surgical Staffing Services provides clinical staffing for surgery centers (ASC) for temporary, permanent placement and direct hire.
Joint Commission Certification
AMN Healthcare was the first of a small subset of staffing firms that have been certified by the Joint Commission for its ability to provide qualified and competent staffing services to its clients. AMN Healthcare first received the Gold Seal of Approval for Staffing Companies from the Joint Commission (formerly referred to as JCAHO) in June 2005 and has been recertified through 2013. Staff Care, the locum tenens division of AMN Healthcare was certified for the first time in 2010. Linde Healthcare (another locum tenens company that is part of AMN) is the most recent company to receive their first Joint Commission certification in 2012. AMN Healthcare has been Health Care Staffing Services certified for the following companies:
- American Mobile
- Medical Express
- Nurse Choice
- Staff Care
- O’Grady-Peyton International
- Med Travelers
- Platinum Select
- Linde Healthcare
- Favorite Healthcare Staffing
Portal and Social Media Web sites
AMN Healthcare owns and operates several nursing, physician and allied portal and social media sites. Many of these sites allow job seekers and employers to connect to search for jobs. In addition, in 2007, AMN Healthcare built and launched a social networking site for nurses, which allows nurses to rate and rank facilities, specialties and job locations, search for careers and advice and post to forums and blogs.
- "SEC 10-K filing".
- "SEC 8-K filing".
- "AMN Healthcare Corporate Website".
- "Medical Express".
- "Nurses Rx".
- "Preferred Healthcare Staffing".
- "O’Grady Peyton International".
- "Merritt Hawkins and Associated".
- "Rx Pro Health".
- "Pharmacy Choice".
- "Platinum Select Staffing".
- "Women First Commences Internet Partnership With Major U.S. Health Care Professional Organization".
- "AMN Healthcare".
- "Staff Care".
- "Merritt Hawkins and Associates".
- "HRO Today".
- "The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid".