|Founded||1986 by Tony Friscia|
|Headquarters||125 Summer Street, Boston, MA|
AMR Research, Inc. was an independent research and industry analysis firm founded by Tony Friscia in 1986 and sold to Gartner Research for $64 million in 2009. AMR was the leading firm in its sector focused on global supply chain best practices and all supporting technologies. Its services continue to be offered by Gartner. The company, which serves much of the Fortune 500, provides subscription advisory services and peer networking opportunities to supply chain, sustainability, and IT executives in the consumer products, life sciences, manufacturing, and retail sectors.
In addition to serving these industries, it also researches and advises the major technology and services vendors. Major technology markets covered include ERP, supply chain planning and execution, green technologies, business intelligence / performance management, PLM, manufacturing operations, CRM, HCM, and sourcing and procurement.
- 1986 - Founded by CEO Tony Friscia
- 1988 - Launched its first advisory service focused on Manufacturing Automation
- 1990 - Founded the Manufacturing Execution Systems Association (MESA) to serve industry need for standards in using off-the-shelf software to manage plant execution
- 1991 - Initiated coverage on the emerging ERP market and became a leader in supporting companies on the selection of these next generation systems
- 1994 - Launched Supply Chain advisory service—the first syndicated research service focused on supply chain software
- 1996 - Co-founded the Supply-Chain Council
- 1998 - Co-developed the Supply-Chain Operations Reference (SCOR) model
- 2003 - Defined the Demand-driven supply network (DDSN) model
- 2004 - Published the first annual AMR Research Supply Chain Top 25
- 2006 - Launched Sustainability Strategies service
- 2007 - Made commitment to Clinton Global Initiative to identify best practices in extending global supply chains into sub-Saharan Africa and to support local producers in this region
- 2009 - Acquired by Gartner Inc.
AMR Research is frequently quoted in major publications:
- BusinessWeek quotes Kevin O'Marah, AMR Research's chief strategy officer, on the impact of the Swine Flu epidemic. Swine Flu: Lessons from SARS
- Supply Chain Management Review cites an AMR Research survey on the effort that companies are putting into measuring greenhouse gas emissions.Companies will focus on greenhouse gas in 2010
- InformationWeek discusses the AMR Research Supply Chain Top 25. Apple, Dell, And P&G Head AMR's Supply Chain Top 25 List
- CIO Magazine reports on AMR Research's study of the best university supply chain programs. Supply Chain U.: AMR Rates Top Colleges for Supply Chain Studies
- "The Beginning of Supply Chain Management: An Interview with Tony Friscia". Supply Chain Management Review. January 1, 2008. Archived from the original on 17 October 2009. Retrieved 2009-10-08.