||This article may be too technical for most readers to understand. (October 2012)|
ANAIS is a particle detector experiment designed to detect dark matter. ANAIS stands for Annual modulation with NAI Scintillators. Its main goal is the direct detection of the dark matter through its scattering off the target nuclei in a radiopure NaI(Tl) crystal. This dark matter signal should be annually modulated by the change in the relative velocity of WIMP-nucleus, a result of the rotation of the Earth around the Sun.
ANAIS is the scaled conclusion of feasibility studies carried out with different prototypes by the University of Zaragoza group at the Canfranc Underground Laboratory, Spain. The complete experiment will use 250 kg of ultrapure sodium-iodine NaI(Tl) crystals. Data recording began at the end of October 2012 using 25 kg in two prototype detectors as the last step before launching the larger experiment.
DAMA/NaI and DAMA/LIBRA, experimental efforts performed at the Gran Sasso National Laboratory, accumulated more than thirteen annual cycles of data (also with NaI scintillators), obtaining a positive signal. Comparison of that result with negative results from other targets and experimental techniques is strongly model dependent. ANAIS (adopting the same target and technique that DAMA/LIBRA) appeared in the last roadmap of ApPEC (Astroparticle Physics European Coordination) to allow testing with an independent experimental set-up and in a model-independent way. At the beginning of 2015, the calibration and testing of 25-kg setup was successfully completed, and plans were put forward to increase detector mass to either 100kg or directly to 250kg.
- Update on the ANAIS experiment. ANAIS-0 prototype results at the new Canfranc Underground Laboratory., J. Amaré et al, Journal of Physics (Conference Series) 375 (2012) 01202
- Background model for a NaI(Tl) detector devoted to dark matter searches. S. Cebrián et al, Astropart. Phys. 37 (2012) 6
- First results from DAMA/LIBRA and the combined results with DAMA/NaI R.Bernabei et al. European Physical Journal C 56: 333, 2010
- New results from DAMA/LIBRA.R.Bernabei et al. European Physical Journal C 67: 39, 2010
- ASPERA, Astroparticle Physics, SAC-roadmap, Nov.2011
- ANAIS: Status and prospects